Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ccsnreg

Can i calculate what to put on form 8915f with form 8915e 2021, 2021 were erased on hd. totals were 49,306 with 2 payments of 16,435$.

I have 2020 tax returns just not 2021. i really dont want to have to contact the IRS to get a copy of personal return.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Can i calculate what to put on form 8915f with form 8915e 2021, 2021 were erased on hd. totals were 49,306 with 2 payments of 16,435$.

There are various ways to acquire a copy of your 2021 tax return.  If you prepared it in TurboTax you should be able to print a copy from the account screen.  To access this return, log in to TurboTax and the following steps should assist you:

1. Make sure you are on the "Tax Home" screen and scroll down to the bottom.
  2. Where it shows "Your tax returns and documents", click on the down arrow.
  3. All the returns prepared in TurboTax should appear here for the previous few years if prepared in TurboTax.
  4. You should be able to reprint the return if it is present.

If you did not prepare your 2021 return in TurboTax, and if you used a paid preparer, you should be able to obtain a copy from them.  The same applies if you used a different online software package,  Log in to whomever you utilized, and navigate to where your 2021 tax file would be located and print from there.

Of course you also mentioned not wanting to contact the IRS to obtain a copy.  You do not need to contact them directly, you can obtain a transcript of you return by logging in to the IRS website at irs.gov and following the steps there to obtain a transcript.  I will not say it will be a 1-2-3 step to obtain a transcript, and it may well cause you to throw certain hard objects at your monitor, but it can be done eventually.

The last option is to shortcut all of the above, have your 2020 8915-E handy, go to the IRS website and print a 2021 8915-F and follow the steps as to where the information would show if you know it as it appears you do.  While the explanation below MAY assist you in filing your 2022 return, I will not state unequivocally that it is the correct method to make or that it is absolutely correct without the 2021 form.   Also in your case substitute the numbers below for yours of $16,435.

The steps to enter a Covid distribution are similar regardless if you use TurboTax online or TurboTax desktop.  I will highlight the steps from TurboTax online for you to enter.

1. Click on Wages & income on the left side of the TurboTax online screen
  2. Scroll down to Retirement Plans & Social Security, click on "Start"
  3. If you did not receive a 1099-R in 2022 click on "No"
  4. The next screen will ask if you have ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022, click yes, then continue
  5. Since this is a Covid based distribution answer no.
  6. Next screen click yes and the screen will populate with the information you need to enter from your 2021 Form 8915-F.  You will need to have this form handy to enter the information necessary from the correct lines.
  7. The name and amounts shown below are simply for example purposes.

The next screen will ask if you repaid any of the distribution in 2022.  If you did not repay any in 2022 leave the spaces blank and click continue.  The amount remaining to be included in your income will show on the return.  Do not be alarmed if it does not show on your income summary after entering the disaster data.  

To be sure it is being included on your return click back on the left where is shows "Tax Tools" and click there, then click on "Tools", then "View tax summary".  A summary version of your return will show so you need click towards the upper left where is shows "Preview my 1040" and click there.

Scroll down to the preview line 5b to make sure that your current portion of the disaster distribution shows there as it should.

@ccsnreg 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies