tmb-stuff

Can I be reimbursed for home improvements and mortgage payments I've paid for over the last 7 years after my husband died?

I live in Louisiana, a community property state, and we've done my husband's succession, which made his two older children and our child together, "the community" with me. No one has helped me pay the mortgage, insurance, homeowners association fees, home improvements, etc., since he died in January 2012. I want to sell our house this summer, but I want to get back all the money I've spent since his death, before the profits are split. 

DDollar

Your question is more of an estate law issue and not an income tax matter.  I recommend you consult a local estate planning attorney.

DDollar