turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kacj1

Can i use and continue to contribute to a FSA if i enroll in Medicare Part A when i turn 65? I am currently 64 and a USPS employee.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelR1

Can i use and continue to contribute to a FSA if i enroll in Medicare Part A when i turn 65? I am currently 64 and a USPS employee.

As long as you are employed, you can continue to make contributions to your FSA through payroll deduction.  Medicare is not a determining factor, like it is for an HSA.  See the links below for more information. 

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelR1

As long as you are employed, you can continue to make contributions to your FSA through payroll deduction.  Medicare is not a determining factor, like it is for an HSA.  See the links below for more information. 

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf

mikemonya

The two links provided are not on the Topic of Medicare and FSA's

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The link goes to IRS Pub. 969, which discusses FSA's on page 16.

Since you may use your FSA to pay for expenses not covered by Medicare (excluding insurance premiums), there is no conflict with continuing to contribute to an FSA through your employer while on Medicare. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GSArizona

MarilynG1, Thanks for the advice, but when I checked IRS PUB. 969, I did not see any reference stating that since I am still working and enrolled in my HDHP,  and was forced to accept Medicare Part A when I signed up for my SSA benefits, that I could contribute to a FSA, since I can no longer contribute to my preferred HSA. Thanks GSArizona

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies