turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

atin95

As a resident alien for tax purposes for 2018, do I need to report interest on my foreign bank account even though my account balance never exceeded $10,000?

Here are my questions:

- Do I need to report interest on my foreign bank account even though my account balance never exceeded $10,000?

- If so, how do I submit the interest through TurboTax Premier?

• If it is through entering my foreign interest income as if I have received 1099-INT, which boxes do I have to fill out? (only Box 1 & Box 6?)
  • Do I need to check "FATCA filing requirement box is checked"?

- Since my account is less than $10,000 I do not plan to file an FBAR to report my account. Is that a good move?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

As a resident alien for tax purposes for 2018, do I need to report interest on my foreign bank account even though my account balance never exceeded $10,000?

A resident alien for tax purposes  is treated as a resident alien/ citizen for most tax items. Interest earned in foreign bank must be recognized and taxed -- enter the details as if you had  received form 1099-INT -- just tell TurboTax that your interest earnings were NOT reported on 1099-INT. In place of the Name of the entity, just enter the name of the foreign bank and  tell TurboTax that it is a foreign entity.

FBAR requires a total foreign bank account(s) value of equal/ more than $10,000 ( equivalent ) at any time during the year. I f require to fill out the FBAR form , please visit www.fincen.gov and look for form 114 ( can only be filed on-line).

The FATCA  requirements are much higher ( $90,000 or higher, depending on your filing status). You just tell TurboTax that you have foreign bank accounts and  answer the questions concerning FBAR and FATCA 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

A resident alien for tax purposes  is treated as a resident alien/ citizen for most tax items. Interest earned in foreign bank must be recognized and taxed -- enter the details as if you had  received form 1099-INT -- just tell TurboTax that your interest earnings were NOT reported on 1099-INT. In place of the Name of the entity, just enter the name of the foreign bank and  tell TurboTax that it is a foreign entity.

FBAR requires a total foreign bank account(s) value of equal/ more than $10,000 ( equivalent ) at any time during the year. I f require to fill out the FBAR form , please visit www.fincen.gov and look for form 114 ( can only be filed on-line).

The FATCA  requirements are much higher ( $90,000 or higher, depending on your filing status). You just tell TurboTax that you have foreign bank accounts and  answer the questions concerning FBAR and FATCA 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies