Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Applying overpayment to estimated tax while skipping years

Is it possible to return a 2013 overpayment/refund check to the IRS in 2018, have it apply to 2016 estimated taxes AND be credited as of 2016 (similar to applying 2015 overpayment to 2016 est. tax)?

I note that 2016 was filed after the credit was made for the check but within the 3-yr statutory limit.

I need the payment to show as having been credited in 2016, not the date the check was returned.

IRS seems confused about this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

your message is somewhat confusing. if the 2013 refund check was issued in 2018, it's not cashable. refund checks are only valid for one year after issuance. in addition, it would only be credited based on the date returned if it was any good.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

"IRS seems confused about this."

That's not surprising.  In reading your post, I conclude that you have unrealistic expectations of what can be done.  It might take a "sit down" in an IRS office to accomplish what you want, and even then I doubt it can be done. 

Yes, thank you and let me clarify. A 2013 refund check was reissued twice (after significant time being expired) so it was good to cash (although probably not necessary if handing over to IRS for credit). I just wish I knew of something in writing one way or the other! The other thing IRS apparently does is ignore instructions on late filed returns; they may send a check (with interest) instead of abiding by the return directing overpayment go toward the following tax year’s est. tax.

When you file a prior year return, you can't apply any part of your refund to the "next" tax year. It makes no sense.

Besides, if too long has gone by, your overpayment is forfeited and you won't even get a paper check.

If you owe the IRS, go to the IRS "make a payment" page and pay for the year(s) applicable.

Carl
Level 15

Quit going around your elbow to get to your thumb. 🙂

Deposit the check (assuming it's still good)

Then go to www.irs.gov/payments and pay the IRS whatever you need to pay, for whatever tax year you need to pay it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies