Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anyone have an issue with selecting itemized deductions? I have 19K of itemized deductions and single so definitely over the standard but won't let me choose to itemize?

I walk though selecting itemize and it keeps looping back to put me in standard deduction.  Seems like a glitch. Anyone else have an issue?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Anyone have an issue with selecting itemized deductions? I have 19K of itemized deductions and single so definitely over the standard but won't let me choose to itemize?

Once the deductions are optimized, be sure to select Continue. The button in the middle will change back to the alternative. 

For more information, see: How does the Standard Deduction differ from itemizing deductions?

I do select the link to "change my deduction" and hit continue.  Then it comes back to the same page that says the standard deduction is what we choose. Tax amounts are the same (for Federal) but I want to make sure it is itemized for both Federal AND State. I can't tell if it is being itemized or not as TT even though I go through the process you describe.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you are using Turbo Tax online, you can go to tax tools>tools>view tax summary. Look at the federal tax summary first and verify what the itemized/standard deduction amount is. Since you know your itemized amount is !9K, you can easily verify it.

Now go to your state summary and do the same although some state summaries may not have a classification in their summaries outlining what the deduction is. Usually, if you itemize in the federal level, the state will itemize your deductions also.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SRG57

Yes.  Same issue with married filing joint.  Our itemized deductions are greater than the standard deduction but Turbo Tax uses the standard deduction.  

@SRG57

In some cases TurboTax has been displaying a message on the screen that it is using the standard deduction when it is actually using itemized deduction.  

You can check this by going to your return in a browser..

1. Tax Tools in the left panel
  2. Tools
  3. View Tax Summary
  4. Then Preview 1040
  5. On the 1040 look at line 12.
  6. Line 12 will show the amount of deductions actually being taken on your return.

You can ignore the message in the program that looks like it is taking the standard deduction.

All the IRS will see is Line 12 plus Schedule A if you are taking itemized deductions.

It's possible that the software chose the standard deduction after completing the calculations.  

To double check, take a look at your total itemized deductions on Schedule A line 17, and your 1040 line 12.  If the amount is lower than the standard deduction, then the software has calculated correctly.

The standard deduction for 2020 is as follows:

• Single taxpayers: $12,400
  • Married taxpayers filing a joint return: $24,800
  • Heads of household: $18,650

Here is a TurboTax article about the standard deduction vs. itemizing.

To view forms in TurboTax,:

If you want to preview your tax return before filing, follow the steps below:

• Sign into your TurboTax account
  • Click Take me to my return
  • Click My Account and choose Tools
  • You will then see Other Helpful Links and can select the option View Tax Summary
  • Choose Preview my 1040 and you can click Back to leave the preview screen. 

To view Schedule A and other worksheets in your tax return, follow the steps below:

• Click My Account and then choose Print Center
  • Click Print, save, or preview this years return. You will then be prompted to register or pay if you haven’t done so to view your full return. 

If you want to manually change from standard to itemized, here's how:

TurboTax automatically selects the deduction that gives you the best outcome on your federal taxes. Most 2020 federal tax filers will be better off with the standard deduction versus the itemized deduction.

You can always switch to a different deduction. However, if you and your spouse are filing separate federal returns, both of you must take the same deduction per IRS rules.

Tip: It's best to hold off on switching until after you've finished going through the Deductions & Credits section. That way you can get an accurate picture of how both deductions affect your bottom line. Also, keep in mind that switching to the other federal deduction may impact your state tax return.

TurboTax Online instructions

TurboTax CD/Download instructions

What about my state?

Here is a TurboTax article about how the Standard Deductions differs from itemizing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies