Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As an 18 year old, should I be getting deductions on my pay check?

I am 18 years old with a part time job. My moms claims me as her dependent on her tax files, meaning she pays for more than 50% of my expenses, which includes college payments. I recently got my first pay check, but rather than be excited, I was confused because deductions were added which means money is being taken out of my pay check. My mother believes this wouldn't be happening if my manager would have given me a W-2 or W-4 form. So the following questions remain:

1. Should I have money (deductions) taken out of my pay check? If so, why?

2. If I shouldn't be having money taken out of my pay check, what can I do to fix this misconception? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Everyone is subject to social security and medicare being withheld, and I would assume most states require some type of disability to be withheld as well.

Its the Federal and State Income taxes that may not be required depending upon how much income you're earning.  When you filled out the W4 at work, the choices you made there, determine how much fed and state income taxes will be withheld.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

I never filed a W-4 form, so should I?

You should definitely ask you employer to let you fill one out if you want to change the amount of your withholding.

I'm surprised they didn't give you one.  That's usually how they get you Social Security number to report your wages.  Use the answer below.  If you will make more than 6,300 this year you need some income taxes taken out so you don't owe on your annual tax return that we file next April.  The 1040 tax return is for the calendar year Jan-Dec.

All my manager asked for was my social security and state ID

There are several types of withholding from your pay. All persons must pay social security and medicare taxes on their income regardless of how much they make and whether or not they are claimed as a dependent. 

Whether or not you must pay federal income tax depends on how much total income you will have for the year and whether you are claimed as a dependent by someone else or not. For 2016, you could make up to $6300 of income and be claimed as a dependent and not have to pay any federal income tax. You would pay tax on income above $6300.

Your employer should have given you a W-4 to complete when you started your job. How much federal tax the employer withholds from your pay would depend on how many allowances you claim on the W-4. You can change the W-4 at any time during the year. You can use this IRS calculator to determine how many allowances to claim on your W-4: 

If too much federal income tax has been withheld, you will get it back as a refund when you file your tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies