Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Additional tax for failure to maintain HDHP

I thought I saw the refund amount go down after this page, but now I'm not sure and can't find a way to check. My wife has an HSA, but no longer has that job with the company is not under an HDHP. She made no contributions last year to it and wasn't under an HDHP all year. I just wanted to make sure that there's no penalty just for having the HSA account.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Additional tax for failure to maintain HDHP

There is no penalty calculated if no contributions were made in 2016. That is one of the benefits of owning an HSA. The funds are her's to use on qualified medical expenses as long as funds are available. The roll from year to year. You can let the funds grow with interest and use them much later for qualified expenses.

Penalties can be calculated if you failed to maintain HDHP coverage and made contributions. Did she leave her job for all of 2016? 

Look to her W-2. HSA contributions would be entered in box 12 with a code W. Box 12 will list employee and employer contributions.  If she made no contributions, through employer or on her own, you should not need to enter anything in the HSA section, except for entering a 1099-SA for distributions (if any).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies