turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file a form indicating that I paid foreign taxes if the amount was less than $48.00?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
EricG
Intuit Alumni

Do I have to file a form indicating that I paid foreign taxes if the amount was less than $48.00?

According to the IRS instructions, found here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-tax-credit-how-to-figure-the-credit

You will not be subject to the foreign tax credit limit and will be able to claim the foreign tax credit without using Form 1116 if all of the following requirements are met.

1. Your only foreign source gross income for the tax year is passive income, as defined in Publication 514 under Separate Limit Income.
  2. Your qualified foreign taxes for the tax year are not more than $300 ($600 if filing a joint return).
  3. All of your gross foreign income and the foreign taxes are reported to you on a payee statement (such as a Form 1099-DIV or 1099-INT).
  4. You elect this procedure for the tax year.

If you make this election, you cannot carry back or carry over any unused foreign tax to or from this tax year.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
EricG
Intuit Alumni

According to the IRS instructions, found here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-tax-credit-how-to-figure-the-credit

You will not be subject to the foreign tax credit limit and will be able to claim the foreign tax credit without using Form 1116 if all of the following requirements are met.

1. Your only foreign source gross income for the tax year is passive income, as defined in Publication 514 under Separate Limit Income.
  2. Your qualified foreign taxes for the tax year are not more than $300 ($600 if filing a joint return).
  3. All of your gross foreign income and the foreign taxes are reported to you on a payee statement (such as a Form 1099-DIV or 1099-INT).
  4. You elect this procedure for the tax year.

If you make this election, you cannot carry back or carry over any unused foreign tax to or from this tax year.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies