Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A letter from State of California FTB?

I received a letter from the Franchise tax Board claimed tax filled in 2016 return was underreported/overstated my income was disclosed from the IRS tax return. I view my record filling for 2016 from Turbo Tax and there is no amount filed. So, I was access additional tax and/or penalties on 2016 tax year and need to pay before May 01, 2020. I think this is an error and I need help to resolve this issue ASAP.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Did you purchase MAX or PLUS benefits when you completed your return for 2016?

If so, you can contact us using the information in the link below.

How to access MAX or PLUS

If you did not purchase these benefits before you filed your 2016 return, you can refer to the notice for instructions on how to respond or contact the Franchise Tax Board directly for assistance in resolving the notice.

Also attached is a link to the FTB with instructions to help you depending upon the type of notice you received.

FTB letters

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I used turbo tax-free edition to file 2016 and got a refund. But Mar-06-2020 I receive a notice of proposed assessment from FTB claimed I owed 127.53 for underreported/overstated deduction in 2016 for State California on (540) tax return? Why was IRS not send me a notice? This was filled by the Turbo tax and how Turbo will help to fix the problem? 

This just happened to us too. I used TurboTax which auto-populated my state return and apparently incorrectly put MY wages in the credits column, causing a big difference in adjusted income between federal and state returns. As I had not paid the extra $ for the CPA protection that year I am apparently stuck with the large bill we just got from CA FTB, even though the error was caused by TurboTax. After 9 years using them to do my taxes I will be going back to doing them via an in-person accountant from now on as I feel I can no longer trust them to carry forward my federal inputs to the state return. 

I just got a letter from FTB saying I owe almost $2,000 from 2016 California Tax.....?!  This doesn’t make any sense as I didn’t even owe that much to federal that year.  How can TurboTax help me as I filed with them that year and every year since....?

@ Lclacayo wrote:

I just got a letter from FTB saying I owe almost $2,000 from 2016 California Tax.....?!  This doesn’t make any sense as I didn’t even owe that much to federal that year.  How can TurboTax help me as I filed with them that year and every year since....?

If you purchased Audit Defense for that year, we can tell you how to contact the company that handles that.

If you did not purchase Audit Defense, you can still contact TurboTax free Audit Support Center.   At the page linked below, click the blue "Get Help" button and follow the prompts to get the phone number.   It will say "IRS letter", but they help with state letters/audits, too.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

BTW, when you use that interface at the Audit Support Center, when you indicate 2016, it might first take you to a FAQ.    If so, then go back to the link above again, and go through it again, but this time choose "2017" (just so you can proceed to get the phone number.)  Then on the next screen choose "something else".  Then it should show you the phone number.   When you speak to them, you can ask them if they will help you with a 2016 issue.

gross013

This happened to me too. I just received a Notice of Proposed Assessment for CA FTB. They want $1600 because my AGI is on the Schedule CA, which supposedly isn't supposed to be reported there. If I am recalling correctly, state info was auto populated from the federal information I entered. What is happening here? 

I just got off the phone with someone from the Audit Support Center and they said that they don't support 2016.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies