Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2021 TT Interview question uses data from last year's filed return BUT IRS made chanages (for which I have no revised numbers) to rebate taxes paid on unemployment

2021 TT Interview question re: whether 2020 nys income tax refund is taxable shows data from 2020 nosubmitted 1040 which I subsequently worked on after filing in February last year  (as IRS said not to submit an amended return for changes they would make to deduct taxes on unemployment). I received the second refund from IRS but have no documentation to see how numbers changed on my submitted 1040.   Do I adjust the TT numbers to match the submitted form or what?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

2021 TT Interview question uses data from last year's filed return BUT IRS made chanages (for which I have no revised numbers) to rebate taxes paid on unemployment

When it comes to state refunds, if you took the Standard Deduction last year, which most people did, the state refund is not taxable and you needn't even enter the 1099-G.

If you ITEMIZED DEDUCTIONS you would have Schedule A as part of your 2020 Tax Year return. The numbers on that schedule A would be used to determine if the State Refund is taxable. 

The numbers on the Schedule A would not have changed because of the adjustment to the Unemployment. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies