Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax appears to be including unemployment benefits / compensation in Montana tax calculation

Turbo tax appears to be including unemployment benefits / compensation in Montana tax calculation. 

Montana does not tax this type of income but based on what I see in the Montana Tax Forms, Turbo Tax has included the I compensation in the calculations. I have triple checked the TT Montana interview questions and have filled everything in accordingly.

Bug or user error?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Turbo tax appears to be including unemployment benefits / compensation in Montana tax calculation

You are correct, unemployment compensation is never taxable for Montana.  The exclusion is recorded on the tax return as follows:

• Subtractions Schedule, line 7 – Unemployment Compensation

Enter the unemployment compensation from Schedule 1, line 7. Do not subtract the federal exclusion of unemployment compensation from this line.

When you go through the Montana (MT) interview there are a couple of screens you should make an entry in and it should provide the results you are looking for.

1. The part year residency status was used in my example
  2. First review your Form 1099-G entry in the federal section (my example is posted below)
  3. Go to the States tab and select MT
  4. Next continue through the interview until you reach 'Montana Portion of Income', then enter the full amount of your unemployment
  5. Continue until you reach 'Your Montana Tax Return Summary' - you should see all of the unemployment as a Montana Subtraction.
  6. See the images below.
  7. Please update here if you need further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies