turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2 questions when amending foreign house mortgage

I bought a house in my home country and pay mortgage every month. Since it's a foreign bank, they don't provide 1098 form. I get 2 questions when amending my 2021 tax.

1. I think I should use the 2021 average currency exchange rate to convert the foreign money amount to dollars for Box1. But since I got the mortgage in 2018, should I use 2018 or 2021 average currency exchange rate to calculate Box 2?

2. I don't have 1098 so I don't know if I should select yes or no here:

2.png

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@xnervwang , I understand your questions but do not understand  the situation fully:

(a) I am assuming here that you are US person ( citizen / GreenCard / Resident for tax purposes ) --- when did you arrive here, with what visa and are you still and Alien ( Green Card or Visa) ?

( b) that you have a main residence in the USA ( Rental or own)

(c) you house in China is a second residence and that this was bought  before arriving  in the USA

(d) this property in China is personal property and is not income property ( yes ? )

(e) you took out a mortgage  on the property in 2018 for US$ XXXX ( converted from RMB to US$ at average / actual  exchange rate )

1. Thus the remaining mortgage principle should be actual balance  converted  to US$ using Dec. 2021 exchange rate  ( RMB to US$) or the annual average published by the US treasury/IRS not that of 2018

2. even though you are telling the software that you do not have a 1098, just say "yes" to satisfy the software  -- it should not be asking that question but "yes" is valid since you are working with the equivalent to 1098 --a bank / lender statement.

Please can you clarify the situation more ( answer my questions above  and also why you are having to amend  your 2021 return  in addition to  how are you using the  property ?  I know in many countries, you take a mortgage  and pay while the construction is going one and do not have  possession or beneficial possession till after the whole mortgage is paid-off or replaced by a different mortgage  ( like the construction mortgage replaced by a regular mortgage  in the US ).

pk

@pk  Thanks for your reply.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@xnervwang , thank you very much for clarifying the situation -- now I understand what and why of the situation.  Thank you 

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies