Skip to main content
Level 2
January 27, 2022
Question

1098 Box 7

  • January 27, 2022
  • 3 replies
  • 23 views

I've searched but can't seem to find this specific answer.  I have two 1098's for mortgage interest.   

The first one - was the original loan.  Box 7 is not checked.

The 2nd one is - refinanced loan.  Box 7 is checked. 

I have read on the boards that Box 7 is just verifying that this is the house I live in so why is Box 7 not checked on my first 1098?  And yes it does have my address in Box 8 BUT if I check it on turbo tax, it increases my tax return. Unchecked decreases my return.  Why would that change my return if it is only verifying the address??

3 replies

Alumni - Intuit
January 27, 2022

Box 7 unchecked but box 8 with your residential address is equivalent to box 7 checked. This means that the loan is secured by your residential home and makes the mortgage interest deductible.

 

In your case, in TurboxTax, you should check box 7 for both forms 1098.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 2
January 27, 2022

That is what I thought but I questioned if it was unchecked because it was the "previous loan" and not the current loan.  Thank you for your help.

Alumni - Intuit
January 27, 2022

Some banks always leave box 7 unchecked and fill the address of the home which secures the loan in box 8.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"