Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fhound07

I have a 499r-2/w-2pr from working in puerto rico. They have taken federal taxes out as well as medicare taxes, how do i file and must i file if i am not a PR resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I have a 499r-2/w-2pr from working in puerto rico. They have taken federal taxes out as well as medicare taxes, how do i file and must i file if i am not a PR resident?

Your situation requires you to file two returns:  a Puerto Rico return and a US return.  Although Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth and runs on the dollar, income from Puerto Rico is considered to be foreign income for tax purposes.  As such, you will pay tax in the United States on this income, although you may claim a credit for the tax you pay to Puerto Rico on the same income.  

Since you are not considered a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico, you want to prepare the Puerto Rico return first if possible.  This is to determine the US Credit.  Your credit is not based on tax withheld, but rather your tax withheld minus refund or in addition to additional tax due.  To prepare the return for Puerto Rico, you might want to visit this website as the Puerto Rico return is not supported in TurboTax:  http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/individuos/contribucion-sobre-ingresos/informacion-para-radicar-la-p... (This website is in Spanish.  There was no translated website, but that page has the e-filing providers for a PR return).  You may also dial the phone number provided on that site for additional assistance.

Once complete, follow these instructions to enter the Puerto Rico income in TurboTax:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3290703

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

How long were you in Puerto Rico?
fhound07

i worked there for 5 months
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your situation requires you to file two returns:  a Puerto Rico return and a US return.  Although Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth and runs on the dollar, income from Puerto Rico is considered to be foreign income for tax purposes.  As such, you will pay tax in the United States on this income, although you may claim a credit for the tax you pay to Puerto Rico on the same income.  

Since you are not considered a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico, you want to prepare the Puerto Rico return first if possible.  This is to determine the US Credit.  Your credit is not based on tax withheld, but rather your tax withheld minus refund or in addition to additional tax due.  To prepare the return for Puerto Rico, you might want to visit this website as the Puerto Rico return is not supported in TurboTax:  http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/individuos/contribucion-sobre-ingresos/informacion-para-radicar-la-p... (This website is in Spanish.  There was no translated website, but that page has the e-filing providers for a PR return).  You may also dial the phone number provided on that site for additional assistance.

Once complete, follow these instructions to enter the Puerto Rico income in TurboTax:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3290703

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies