Your California return is currently unavailable to...

Your California return is currently unavailable to print or download because some of the tax forms aren't ready for processing. You can preview the returns and sign up to get notified as soon as the tax forms are ready.

I received this message on my state tax return. I then signed up to be notified when my forms are ready. I received this email notice a few days back but I still can't efile and website is still telling me my forms are not ready. It also gave me preview option failed to load pdf file. It's hard to believe that it's 1/26/2021 and tax forms are not ready.

it depends on the forms. Please view this link for further guidance.

A LOT of forms aren't ready yet.  A number aren't even finalized yet by the IRS and many states, including California. Quite a few aren't scheduled to be ready until the end of February, believe it or not and this is the case pretty much every year. 

The IRS isn't even going to start processing returns until February 12, 2021, so filing now does you absolutely no good - being the first to have your return sit on the server doesn't help you out one bit, and actually tends to cause a fair number of problems.  

Come back on February 12th and file when the IRS is actually processing returns.  More things will be available AND your return will be processed within a few hours or days after you submit and won't just be sitting there where you will be unable to make a change when you remember something else or another form shows up that you forgot about. 

Thanks, Dave.

Your link is very helpful. I looks like the Capital Gains or Loss form is not ready.

Turbo Tax should fix the "Email notification when forms are ready" feature. They should make it accurate by listing all the unavailable forms. For me, it only listed form 540 so when I received the email saying it's ready, it caused confusion.