turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Your California return is currently unavailable to print or download because some of the tax forms aren't ready for processing. You can preview the returns and sign up to get notified as soon as the tax forms are ready.

I received this message on my state tax return. I then signed up to be notified when my forms are ready. I received this email notice a few days back but I still can't efile and website is still telling me my forms are not ready. It also gave me preview option failed to load pdf file. It's hard to believe that it's 1/26/2021 and tax forms are not ready.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Your California return is currently unavailable to print or download because some of the tax forms aren't ready for processing. You can preview the returns and sign up to get notified as soon as the tax forms are ready.

it depends on the forms. Please view this link for further guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A LOT of forms aren't ready yet.  A number aren't even finalized yet by the IRS and many states, including California. Quite a few aren't scheduled to be ready until the end of February, believe it or not and this is the case pretty much every year. 

The IRS isn't even going to start processing returns until February 12, 2021, so filing now does you absolutely no good - being the first to have your return sit on the server doesn't help you out one bit, and actually tends to cause a fair number of problems.  

Come back on February 12th and file when the IRS is actually processing returns.  More things will be available AND your return will be processed within a few hours or days after you submit and won't just be sitting there where you will be unable to make a change when you remember something else or another form shows up that you forgot about. 

Thanks, Dave.

Your link is very helpful. I looks like the Capital Gains or Loss form is not ready.

Turbo Tax should fix the "Email notification when forms are ready" feature. They should make it accurate by listing all the unavailable forms. For me, it only listed form 540 so when I received the email saying it's ready, it caused confusion. 

Were I sign to be notify when my California State is ready?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

There is not currently an option to sign up for email notifications. To check the status of the forms you are waiting to release, please see When will my forms be ready?

@croblesr

luvujc35

Hello I see all the forms I need  are available to print and efile. When I log in to finish my return I still get the message that the forms arent available. ??

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Believe it or not, some forms are not available for print or mailing even if they are available for efiling.

The IRS started this tax season pretty far behind.  That kind of delay flows down to the states.  So the IRS finalizes their forms and then the states finalize their forms.  And then the TurboTax programmers get the forms and have to integrate them into the TurboTax program.  Then there is testing to make sure that the newly added forms work with the program properly.  Then they are rolled out to the public.  As inconvenient as the waiting is it will still get your tax return processed faster than paper filing it.

Here is the timeline for the release of state forms on TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies