turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved from Indiana to Florida, and am working from Florida for the same Indiana company as a remote employee. What part of my income counts for Indiana purposes?

On Schedule A, Line 1B "Income Taxed by Indiana", it sounds like I must enter in all wages that were made from the company, regardless of where I was living.  The tax help document states "Enter in Column B income received while you were an Indiana resident, and income from Indiana sources received while you were not an Indiana resident".  Is this really true?  Or should that amount only reflect the income that I made while a resident of Indiana?  If I put in the full amount, then I end up paying Indiana taxes on the income that I earned while not an Indiana resident...and that seems incorrect to me.

For what it's worth, I received 2 W-2s from my employer...one for when I was living in Indiana, and Indiana taxes were taken out, and one for when I was living in Florida where Indiana taxes were not taken out.  The second W-2 shows Fl under the state section, not Indiana...which leads me to believe that W-2 does not count for Indiana.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NancyG

I moved from Indiana to Florida, and am working from Florida for the same Indiana company as a remote employee. What part of my income counts for Indiana purposes?

You will report wages to Indiana only for the period you lived in Indiana.  This is generally the amount shown as Indiana state wages on your W-2.

Your W-2 earnings after your move are not considered Indiana source income.  

You may find the information helpful:

Multiple States - Figuring What is Owed?

Here are some examples of income sourced to another state:

• You are an S corporation shareholder and the corporation does most of its business in a state other than the state where you live.
  • You're a partner in an out-of-state partnership.
  • You own rental property in another state.
  • You're the beneficiary of a trust or estate that has interests in another state.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NancyG

You will report wages to Indiana only for the period you lived in Indiana.  This is generally the amount shown as Indiana state wages on your W-2.

Your W-2 earnings after your move are not considered Indiana source income.  

You may find the information helpful:

Multiple States - Figuring What is Owed?

Here are some examples of income sourced to another state:

• You are an S corporation shareholder and the corporation does most of its business in a state other than the state where you live.
  • You're a partner in an out-of-state partnership.
  • You own rental property in another state.
  • You're the beneficiary of a trust or estate that has interests in another state.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies