cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is a CA resident who received combined UI benefits from NJ required to file a NJ state tax return?

I am a CA resident who lived in CA for all of 2017. I filed for combined UI benefits in NJ in 2017 because I had worked in CA and NJ prior to becoming unemployed. I have read elsewhere that UI benefits are only reported for the state of which you are a resident -- in my case, CA, not NJ. However, the payer on my 1099-G is "NJ Dept. of Labor Unemployment Insurance," which is why I want to confirm.

My understanding is thus: I would list my UI benefits on my federal and CA returns and simply not file a NJ state return. Is this correct, or do I need to file a NJ state return and list my UI benefits there instead of on my CA return? Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 7

Is a CA resident who received combined UI benefits from NJ required to file a NJ state tax return?

You will only have to file a California state tax return and report all of the unemployment income received from both California and New Jersey.  You are correct that in general (there are a few exceptions) unemployment is only state income in your resident state regardless of which state it is from (this is the same as retirement income). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 7

You will only have to file a California state tax return and report all of the unemployment income received from both California and New Jersey.  You are correct that in general (there are a few exceptions) unemployment is only state income in your resident state regardless of which state it is from (this is the same as retirement income). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Excellent. Thank you so much. For future reference, could you point me to any resources which discuss this in detail?