turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm an independent contractor and got a 1099 misc from a Florida business. Do I need to file a Florida return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm an independent contractor and got a 1099 misc from a Florida business. Do I need to file a Florida return?

"I'm an independent contractor and got a 1099 misc from a Florida business."

The Florida return in TurboTax is for owners of Florida-located businesses and rental property with tangible personal property to report to county property appraisers' offices.

Refer to this http://floridarevenue.com/dor/property/tpp/ web site for more information on the tangible personal property tax as it applies to independent contractors. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

"I'm an independent contractor and got a 1099 misc from a Florida business."

The Florida return in TurboTax is for owners of Florida-located businesses and rental property with tangible personal property to report to county property appraisers' offices.

Refer to this http://floridarevenue.com/dor/property/tpp/ web site for more information on the tangible personal property tax as it applies to independent contractors. 

DS30

You will not need to file in FL unless you have business or rental tangible personal property. (If reporting tangible personal property, you would complete Form DR-405 and submit it by mail to your local property appraiser by April 1.)

Florida does not have a state individual income tax related to wages so you do not need to file an income tax return with the state.

So, if you do not have a business or rental real estate with assets in Florida, you do not need to prepare or file the Florida return in TurboTax.

If you can, go back into TurboTax, under the state taxes tab and delete Florida from your list of state returns. If not just don't file the FL state tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies