turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ba2

Should I file a DC nonresident request for refund? TurboTax is auggesting I file one but I did not pay any DC tax and am not sure how TurboTax is generating the figure?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Should I file a DC nonresident request for refund? TurboTax is auggesting I file one but I did not pay any DC tax and am not sure how TurboTax is generating the figure?

You don't need to file that form.  DC correctly did not withhold any taxes.  However, when you were asked if you worked in another state, you likely replied that you work in DC.  TurboTax then generated the form based on that answer.  But you don't need it.  Here's an FAQ on how to delete it:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

(In the future, you can simply say no to the question if you work in another state.  DC only taxes residents of DC.  Nonresidents of DC pay tax to their state only).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

is DC listed in box 15 of your W2, with taxes withheld in box 17?
ba2

No.  That’s why I’m confused.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You don't need to file that form.  DC correctly did not withhold any taxes.  However, when you were asked if you worked in another state, you likely replied that you work in DC.  TurboTax then generated the form based on that answer.  But you don't need it.  Here's an FAQ on how to delete it:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

(In the future, you can simply say no to the question if you work in another state.  DC only taxes residents of DC.  Nonresidents of DC pay tax to their state only).

Turbo Tax suggested I file as well. I did and it turns out I didn’t need to. Turbo Tax will not issue a refund for my filing fee. They told me that it was my fault and the money back guarantee is only good for CDROM products.
palencis

Are you serious? The same thing happened to me... that's not fair! Is there anyway something can be done about this?

Thanks so much for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies