turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Massachusetts, but work in New Hampshire. Does turbotax take that into account? My W2 for NH doesn't show a massachusetts tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
DS30

I live in Massachusetts, but work in New Hampshire. Does turbotax take that into account? My W2 for NH doesn't show a massachusetts tax.

Yes. If you claim MA as your state of residence in TurboTax, all state income from all sources (including NH) will be included on your MA resident state income tax return.

Since you will not have an NH state income tax filing, just check that you selected "no" to " Did you make money in any other states?" under the Personal Information section in TurboTax (see screenshots)

Can I change that after I've already selected YES?
DS30

Correct. Go back in and change it to no under the personal info tab

I have the same situation, is this still true?  I don't have to file state return for NH just MA since I live and work in MA?

I also live in MA and work in NH but I pay MA income taxes from my check. NH told me to file unemployment in MA and MA says to file in NH. Does anyone know who is right. If I'm paying MA taxes shouldn't I file in MA? Please Help

TomD8
Level 15

@BigApple251 -- According to the US Department of Labor, you should file for unemployment in the state where you worked.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/unemployment-insurance

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

All income was earned in NH, so why is my state income for Mass saying i owe them $$$???? I filed last year with Mass as well but didn't owe any $$$. 

TomD8
Level 15

@beverlee080394 --

If you are a non-resident of MA, and you never performed any work in MA, then your work income is not taxable by MA.

However, you would have to file a non-resident MA tax return if your employer withheld any MA taxes and you want to have them refunded.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I AM a resident of mass but worked fulltime in NH. Do i have to pay income taxes to Mass despite all earned income coming from NH?

TomD8
Level 15

@beverlee080394 --

Yes.  As a resident of MA, ALL your income is taxable by MA, regardless of where you earned it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies