turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why should I owe IL so much money?

This is the second year in a row where TurboTax has calculated that I owe the state of Illinois a high amount based on how much money I made in IL. I made 2,068.04 in Illinois this year and it's saying my total amount of taxes due is $250, of which I've already paid $102, so I should pay $148 to them this year. Why would I still owe them that much money? I always mark 0 exceptions on my W4.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Illinois has a flat income tax of 4.95%, which means everyone's income in Illinois is taxed at the same rate by the state.  The tax of $102 should be correct if you are Single.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you live in IL?  If so, all of your income (not just wages) is taxable there

My permanent residence is there, but I go to school in Iowa. Would that affect it? And I don't have any other income other than what's on my W2s

I am single, but they already took $102 during the year...I'm not sure where the extra $148 is coming from that I'm supposed to pay them now.

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Please clarify if you have income from Iowa.and if you are still claimed as a dependent by your parents in Illinois.

I earn income in Iowa and I am a dependent of my parents

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The tax seems too high if you made $2,068. You need to print out your tax return, form IL-1040 and look at line 11, net income. If it was $2,068, then your tax would be $102, the amount that was withheld from your pay, so you wouldn't have any tax due.

Your income tax is listed on line 14, that should be .0495 times the income listed on line 11. Also, there may be some taxes added on lines 23. You need to review the tax return to find out what is being added or subtracted, because based on the information you furnished here, your tax is too high.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies