Why should I owe IL so much money?

Marissa4

Why should I owe IL so much money?

This is the second year in a row where TurboTax has calculated that I owe the state of Illinois a high amount based on how much money I made in IL. I made 2,068.04 in Illinois this year and it's saying my total amount of taxes due is $250, of which I've already paid $102, so I should pay $148 to them this year. Why would I still owe them that much money? I always mark 0 exceptions on my W4.  

MaryK1101

Why should I owe IL so much money?

Illinois has a flat income tax of 4.95%, which means everyone's income in Illinois is taxed at the same rate by the state.  The tax of $102 should be correct if you are Single.

Why should I owe IL so much money?

Do you live in IL?  If so, all of your income (not just wages) is taxable there

Marissa4

Why should I owe IL so much money?

My permanent residence is there, but I go to school in Iowa. Would that affect it? And I don't have any other income other than what's on my W2s

Marissa4

Why should I owe IL so much money?

I am single, but they already took $102 during the year...I'm not sure where the extra $148 is coming from that I'm supposed to pay them now.

JeffreyR77

Why should I owe IL so much money?

Please clarify if you have income from Iowa.and if you are still claimed as a dependent by your parents in Illinois.

Marissa4

Why should I owe IL so much money?

I earn income in Iowa and I am a dependent of my parents

ThomasM125

Why should I owe IL so much money?

The tax seems too high if you made $2,068. You need to print out your tax return, form IL-1040 and look at line 11, net income. If it was $2,068, then your tax would be $102, the amount that was withheld from your pay, so you wouldn't have any tax due.

Your income tax is listed on line 14, that should be .0495 times the income listed on line 11. Also, there may be some taxes added on lines 23. You need to review the tax return to find out what is being added or subtracted, because based on the information you furnished here, your tax is too high.