Solved: Why is Sales Tax charged on TURBOTAX STATE RETURN ...

Why is Sales Tax charged on TURBOTAX STATE RETURN MA TAX YEAR 2019 E-FILE fee?

This is the first tax year I've seen sales tax charged on top of the $24.99 MA state return e-file fee. Is this correct, or a TurboTax error?

This is mainly a user community forum.  It's possible, but not likely, that a TurboTax employee will see your posting.  You may wish to talk to the folks at TurboTax for anything definitive about their billing procedure in regards to sales tax and whether you were correctly charged or not.

You can use this contact form during  business hours to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

No---TurboTax is required to honor the sales tax laws of your state.  If you do not want to pay the $24.99 state e-filing fee + sales tax then you can print sign and mail your state return instead of e-filing it.

Would you please be more specific, and reference the Massachusetts tax law that requires sales tax on an e-file fee? Because, according to  https://www.mass.gov/guides/sales-and-use-tax#-tax-exempt-items-&-sales-

"Professional services such as accounting ..." are tax exempt in Massachusetts. I've been under the assumption that the e-file fee met the definition of a professional service, and not a product, and therefore should be tax exempt.  Further, why has TurboTax NOT collected the tax in past years, but is now?

BTW, I'm already aware that printing and mailing is a way to avoid the fee, however since I've already e-filed (and paid the e-file fee) your point is moot, and does not address my original question

THANK YOU mesquitebean !!! I appreciate the link to TurboTax support. I searched high and low for a way to contact support directly (after clicking the "Visit customer support" link in the order confirmation email only brought me to the forum), and only as a last resort did I post here. I'll try them during business hours. Thanks again