turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my state not showing up in the list of states

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If your state does not have an income tax. Leave W2 boxes 15-17 Blank. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There are lists of states in many different places in TurboTax. You didn't say where you are having the problem. Most likely your state is not in the list because it's in a place that's related to state income tax, and your state has no income tax. Or it might be specifically related to wages, and your state has no tax on wages.

If you tell us exactly where you are looking for your state, we can give you more specific instructions for how to enter the information you are trying to enter.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

We do not know which form or line you are referring to. Remember that we in the Community cannot see your private tax data.

There are a number of forms in which there is a chance to enter withholding for state tax. Texas and a number of other states do not have an income tax so there may be no point in including these states. In these cases, these states may not be in the pulldown list.

This is especially true if there is no state withholding on your form. In that case, the other boxes that go with it (state code, state file ID, state wages - it depends on which form you are talking about) should be blank.

Does that makes sense in your case?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
QAlace

No state tax in Wa but when I try to finish and file I cannot because I’m told to fill in the state in which I made the income and it’s not on the list.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

This sounds like in the "My Info" section you might have selected "Yes" you earned income in another state, but then did not select a state because WA is not on the list. 

You need to "Edit" the "Other State Income" topic at the bottom of the "My info" summary page.  Select "No" you did not earn income in another state since WA does not have a state income tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies