turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sstacie20

Why do i have to upgrade to deluxe for a $38 tax credit for retirements savings, i would rather not take the $38 credit and save the money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why do i have to upgrade to deluxe for a $38 tax credit for retirements savings, i would rather not take the $38 credit and save the money?

Unfortunately, the software doesn't allow that credit unless you upgrade.

To get rid of it....so you can stay in the "Free" version, go thru Retirement Savings Credit interview again, and indicate you were a student during 2020...that will get rid of it.

IF you later have some other tax situation, that ends up requiring you to upgrade anyhow, you can go thru that part of the interview and say No to the student question to get it back.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
MayaD
Expert Alumni

The Saver's Credit is a 'non-refundable' credit. That means this credit can reduce the tax you owe to zero, but it can't provide you with a tax refund. 

To remove the credit :

• Login to your account.
  • Select Federal from the left menu.
  • Go to Deductions and Credits 
  • Scroll down to Retirement savings contribution credit in the Retirement and Investments section
  • Continue to the screen Retirement savings contribution credit and answer Yes to the question "Were you a full time student during any five month in 2020?"

You won't qualify for the credit if you check that you were a full time student.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies