Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter that I live in AZ but work in TX, a state that does not collect state income tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JulieCo

Where do I enter that I live in AZ but work in TX, a state that does not collect state income tax?

In the My Info section of TurboTax  you will specify that you made money in another state and select Texas. This section can be accessed by selecting My Info in the left hand column of the screen.

Therefore, as you noted, since you work in TX and they do not have income tax, you do not have to file a non-resident return for TX.  BUT, your resident state will tax all of your income, no matter where earned, therefore you will have to file a resident return for AZ and include the income you earned in another state (TX).  Your Texas employer should be withholding AZ tax on your paychecks.  If they are not, you will want to complete a new W-4 form and ask them to begin to withhold AZ taxes.

Here is more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302048

What if my state Id from Arizona and I work in TX and total days spend in AZ during tax year is only 20 day? 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you are domiciled in Arizona then you would be a resident of AZ.  This means you consider AZ your permanent home and intend to remain. It would be where you have your home, your driver's license, where you bank and vote.

Your resident state is the state where you are taxed as a resident.

In the Personal Info section of TurboTax where you enter your name and address, you need to put your AZ address.  Then you will get another question asking if you worked in another state, Enter Texas.

Please see the following from AZ for determining resident status.   AZ Procedure for Determining Residency Status.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies