turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where do I enter contributions to a 529 plan?

The system doesn't prompt for Iowa.  Once located it only allows to enter 529 deductions for self and spouse NOT our beneficiaries/children.  Looks like we need a patch!
rgab04

Not prompting me for IL. Last year it did.

Not prompting for ME returns either and it was definitely tax deductible in prior years, for $250
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Maine has repealed the deduction for 529 plan contributions beginning in 2016. For more information, please visit <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.maine.gov/revenue/">http://www.maine.gov/revenue/</a>.
avi-nos

I dont see it either for the VA state 529 plan.
avi-nos

FRUSTRATING!!!!
kmcmahon2

The system does not prompt for entry of deduction for 529 contribution in Wisconsin

not prompting for Maryland either.  would love to find it

not prompting in MS either
ADB

Turbo tax is not prompting for VA in 2018... please fix!!!

I wasn't prompted either, but eventually found the section to enter 529 contributions under the Virginia College Prepaid Tuition (Section 529)
jcc2000

You say you found where to enter the contribution but you failed to state where it is located

This worked for me...go to "show topic list"(upper right side of TT) scroll down to 529 plan in the state tax area and click on the box.  It took me to a dialog box where I could enter the info. The box may be called different things in different states, but 529 should be indicated as a topic.

I didn't know this last year (in 2017) and missed out on the deduction then. TT needs to address this problem!

I hope it works for you!
maglib
Level 11

You can not normally deduct a 529 plan contribution to a different states tax plan....  not every state allows any deductions.

Over 30 states, including the District of Columbia currently offer a income tax credit for 529 plan contributions. In most cases, the taxpayer must contribute to their home state’s 529 plan to qualify for a state income tax benefit. However, there are seven states that offer a state income tax benefit for contributions to any 529 plan and they are:

• Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Kansas
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Pennsylvania

In the majority of states, the full amount or a portion of a taxpayer’s 529 plan contribution is deductible in computing state income tax. But, Indiana, Utah and Vermont offer a state income tax credit for 529 plan contributions. Minnesota taxpayers are eligible for a state income tax deduction or credit, depending on their adjusted gross income.

Seven states currently have a state income tax, but do not offer a deduction for contributions: California, Delaware, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, New Jersey, and North Carolina.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies