turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I do if I lived in Florida in the beginning in 2020, and then moved to California for a few months (Oct 1st to end December), then returned?

I was a resident of California for just a few months, and had health insurance there, so my situation is a bit complicated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

What should I do if I lived in Florida in the beginning in 2020, and then moved to California for a few months (Oct 1st to end December), then returned?

We'd have to know more about situation to answer your question. Did you plan to permanently move to California? Did you take any steps to become a CA resident such as getting a driver's license, registering to vote or signing a lease for an apartment? Did you work in CA?

If you did not try to establish California residency, file a non-resident California return and report any income you earned while you were in CA, otherwise file a part-year CA return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Ernie, 

When I moved to California, I thought it might be permanent, but it ended up only lasting a few months because of a new opportunity for 2021. 

I did register to vote, but that is the only thing I did to establish residency. I did not sign a lease, and I am self-employed with a permanent address in Florida. 

Should I then file a non-resident California return? 

Hi @ErnieS0  , are you able to provide further feedback on this? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies