turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I earned most of my income in a different state than I live, how do I file my return ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I earned most of my income in a different state than I live, how do I file my return ?

It depends on the states involved.

Since you stated that you live in TN (which has no state income taxes on earned income) but worked in KY (which has a state income tax on earned income), you will need to file a KY nonresident state income tax return to report your KY-sourced income.

Usually you will get a state income tax credit in your home state for state taxes paid on income taxed in another state. But since TN have no state income taxes on earned income, you will not be able to claim any state tax credit in TN.

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DS30

What are the states you worked /lived in ?

I live in Tennessee. Worked in Kentucky.
DS30

It depends on the states involved.

Since you stated that you live in TN (which has no state income taxes on earned income) but worked in KY (which has a state income tax on earned income), you will need to file a KY nonresident state income tax return to report your KY-sourced income.

Usually you will get a state income tax credit in your home state for state taxes paid on income taxed in another state. But since TN have no state income taxes on earned income, you will not be able to claim any state tax credit in TN.

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

So do I need to enter the full amount i made for the year from my work in Kentucky or just the state income tax ?
DS30

You include the full amount you made in KY as your KY sourced income on your KY nonresident state income tax return. When you are working on the return in TurboTax, you will be able to do the income allocation in the program.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies