Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 has two states

Hi, Around July 2021, I updated my address in my company’s HR portal. Now my W2 has two states VA (the correct address) and NC(old address). I lived and worked in VA the whole year and deductions from VA only.  MY W2 looks like this.

NC State reference and Filing copies - Only Box 15,16 filled and 17 is empty. 

VA State filing cop - Box 15,16 and 17 are filled. 

Should I mention NC in my federal tax or file for an extension and ask my employer to issue W2C ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

W2 has two states

You do not need to file an extension.  Neither your federal wages (box 1) nor your VA wages (Va box 16) are affected by this change. 

The change will only be used if NC, for some reason, sends you a letter requesting you file/report income to them.  Then you would use the W2C to show there is no NC income.

It is otherwise just for your records.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

W2 has two states

Fill out the W2 as is.  This will not affect your Federal return/tax in any way.  If you are filing a Virginia full-year return, all of the income will flow to the state return and will calculate correctly.  Just verify that there is no "other-state-tax credit" being calculated or claimed.  If there is any such information, delete any entries.  Do not file a North Carolina return, and you may choose to write a letter (or have your company provide you with a company letter) that the income being claimed to North Carolina is reported in error.

W2 has two states

Thanks for the reply. I just spoke with my employer. They are going to issue a W2C with zero NC wages and asked me to file for an extension. @DanielV01 So should I file an extension?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

W2 has two states

You do not need to file an extension.  Neither your federal wages (box 1) nor your VA wages (Va box 16) are affected by this change. 

The change will only be used if NC, for some reason, sends you a letter requesting you file/report income to them.  Then you would use the W2C to show there is no NC income.

It is otherwise just for your records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies