Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Virginia form 502A

I am filling out Form 1120S since Differential is an S-Corp. Line 21 "Ordinary Business Income / Loss" states a loss (a negative amount). This should carry over to Form 502PTET (To Line 1) but does not and entering a negative number in Form 502PTET returns an error

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Virginia form 502A

There is an update that was scheduled for today, 2/17. If you are using TurboTax CD/Download software, please update it and try again. 

How do I update my TurboTax CD/Download software program?

@Differential 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Virginia form 502A

Thank you! I have updated my TurboTax software.

I continue to have this error: Form 502PTET Section I Line 3, Column B is invalid for State Electronic Filing. Negative numbers are not allowed on this field.

How do I enter a loss I had in 2022? I reported this error two weeks ago but have not received a resolution yet. The only way to get around is to enter a 0 number for owners share of taxable income but that does not sound correct

Thanks!

"

Virginia form 502A

Still having this same problem for tax year 2022.  When do you think this software issue will be corrected?  Virginia 502A Turbo Tax Business insists I make a selection for section A of 502A for my VA state return. I have no idea why. I have never had to enter information here before.  None of the choices apply but I cannot get through the review without entering something.  Section C is applicable so I cannot delete the worksheet.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Virginia form 502A

This was a known problem, and TurboTax was working on a fix.  It is listed as fixed now, and you should be able to submit the return without creating the 502A form and then deleting it. 

@gt391 

Virginia form 502A

I am still unable to submit electronically, my Virginia tax return for an LLC and a subchapter S.  The software stops me on form502a  section A which is not applicable to me.  Last year I deleted this form, but this year the software keeps putting it back I have been in contact with TurboTax twice for over an hour without anyone being able to help me. does anybody have any solutions for this problem? 

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Virginia form 502A

Schedule 502A is used to show the amount of allocated income and to determine the apportionment percentage. If the pass-through entity's income is all from Virginia, then the entity does not allocate and apportion income; the Virginia apportionment percentage is 100%, and Schedule 502A is not required.

Since in your situation you are not apportioning/allocating income, in the apportionment section of the Interview try answering the questions even thou you are not technically apportioning income. The Form will show incomplete. Then delete the Form. See steps below:

In the upper right corner of your display is a toggle between Forms and Step by Step Mode. 

Go into Forms mode and select the 502A form from the list on the left side of the screen. 

You can delete the 502A forms at the bottom of the screen. 

Then toggle back to Step by Step and recomplete the Virginia interview to generate the 502 form.

You should also clear your Cache before logging back in.

How to Clear Cache

@gt391 

Virginia form 502A

Get into forms view, delete the 502A form. Rerun error check. Fixed

Virginia form 502A

Deleting the form worked except when you go from step-by-step to forms you have to delete the form at the bottom of the form itself.  For me it wasn’t listed on the left.

ScottV1

Virginia form 502A

TT Business is forcing me to pay entity level tax.  I have entered 0 in all non resident fields.  I have a sole sub S owner VA resident.  We should not be dealing with entity level tax?  When is this going to be fixed, i have trying for three weeks now.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Virginia form 502A

If 502A does not apply, you do not need to enter $0 in the field.  Instead, follow the steps provided by HopeS to delete the 502A form from your return.  I will include the steps below for your convenience:

1. In the upper right corner of your screen, right corner Click Forms
  2. Select 502A on the left-hand side
  3. Click Delete (Bottom of your screen)
  4. In the upper right-corner of your screen, click Step-by-Step
  5. Complete the return

@ScottV1 

Cgen
Level 1

Virginia form 502A

@MichelleLO , I didn't downloaded Virginia for 2022 until after the 2/23 release.  I have the same problem.  TTBus requires one of the boxes in Section A, Box 1 - 9, to be checked.  It is disheartening TT has been unable to diagnose this problem for more than a year.

Virginia form 502A

So, any recommendations on how to fix this annoying problem this year too? Now that it's 2023, and TT STILL has an error? I know the PTE/502 form issues changed in 2022, but I thought they were elective, and we could remain where we were and not be required to submit this form? But now there's not a 502-A option listed under the forms. There's just Form 502 and form 502, PTET.... Anyone know??

Virginia form 502A

Right, there are many posts on this.

If you have the form 502A issue-- basically, switch to forms view, search on Form 502A, then on bottom of screen delete the form.  Then you can move to the end and submit your Virginia state taxes/it'll pass error check.

The issue is that (as gt391 says above)-- every time you run through Virginia step-by-step, TT re-generates the Form 502A.  So you may have to delete it multiple times if you are not running thru once then submit (in other words, if you re-run the VA step-by-step, foop a new Form 502A shows up even if you already deleted it).  I found that if I got to the error checking part, then deleted it, I could finish/get to error check passed. 

Very annoying for those of us in this case- multi-year TT error.  I just leave a note to myself for next year.

Virginia form 502A

More that two years later, this issue still exists in TT Business.

Go Intuit !!!

Perhaps they don't read these forums?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies