Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Virginia e-file in endless loop requesting first name of taxpayer in info worksheet form

Afte passing all the error checks and paying for e-filing ore Federal, NC and VA filings, Federal and NC were accepted, but the VA form failed with an endless loop requesting the first name of the taxpayer on the "Virginia Information Worksheet" form.  

Virginia doesn't want this particular form e-fled.  My guess is the aggregator company that accepts the filing is passing back the rejection message for submitting the info worksheet that turns into the erroneous error message.

I have to e-file, paper submission is not an option for the VA tax return.

Hopefully someone on the turbotax side will see the rejection message and the endless loop requesting the taxpayers first name on the Information Sheet and fix TurboTax to NOT submit this form so that it can be accepted.

I just spent 1.5 hours with a nice support person looking for workarounds.

Strategy is to wait a week and see if others encounter this error so that it gets fixed.  

Anyone that has a workaround to get around this error, please share your success story.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Virginia e-file in endless loop requesting first name of taxpayer in info worksheet form

Here is the full story of dealing with Intuit Support to find a work around due to  the bug in TurboTax reported in this thread.  This effort took 5 hours of dedicated time, most of it wasted due the support person texting in the background to level 2 support that insisted on steps that had no relation to the problem.  

After my conversation with Intuit support person "CAT..." who was texting with Intuit level 2 person "Ker..." I called support again to see if any action had been taken on my situation documented in case # [phone number removed].  I was informed by support person "CAM..." that my case had been closed by CAT   This was upsetting to hear.  I asked CAM why would anyone close a case for a reported filing issue?  I asked if Intuit support staff have metrics related to closing calls.  I was told there is a lot of pressure to solve customer problems in one call.  That is an admirable goal, but closing cases that a customer expects to get fixed over time is gaming Intuit's  metrics system, in my opinion.

CAM was open to working with me to see if she could get me past the looping error message that was blocking filing a return generated using MacOS Ventura on the desktop version of TurboTax.  I shared my screen with CAM and showed her the looping that took place.  The only was out of the loop was to quit TurboTax and start over  through the filing process with all checks passing until a final check was made at the end when clicking the file my return button.

After some time of verifying entries and repeating I asked for level 2 support.  CAM then started testing with AND..." in the background.  This turned into a support disaster.  AND repeatedly requested steps that were not germaine to the problem.  Questions such as did you clear your browser cache? Did you try a different browser?  AND insisted on going through her list of questions even when told the problem was in issue with TurboTax Desktop where no browser is involved.  She then started requesting reinstall this and that, etc.  even knowing that a Federal and NC return had been filed with no problems at all, only the VA filing failed and I had no option to file by paper due to VA requiring e-filing for my state taxes.

I got CAM to drop AND off the call and asked if there was any escalation process that would result in a software engineer getting into the loop.  The answer was no.   There were lots of suggestions to use OVERRIDE or delete and reenter the form, etc. but there was no way to reenter the VA data in a new tax form since the looping return was tied to an already filed Federal and NC state returns.  TurboTax had locked down the VA form then aborted the filing process due to a perceived mismatch between the Federal and State information worksheet forms.

To rule out the Cam's speculation that something was amiss in my MacOS system, I asked if the Turbotax data file containing my 3 returns  would work with TurboTax on Windows 10.  She didn't know so a quick search on th internet indicated the data file will work cross platform.  I told Cam that I would be glad to see if the bug existed when using Windows 10 if she could provide a copy of Turbotax for Windows for me to use.  She did provide a download links for TurboTax Premier that I installed on Windows 10 running in a Parallels virtual machine on my Mac.  The Windows 10 version read my data file just time but reported a dependency on needing the NC state added in due to a cross tax dependency and that I also needed the Home & Business version of TurboTax.  When Cam asked which version I had earlier I said the expensive one because of the complexity.  That's why she provided Premier.  I look back at the Mac version and it was the Home & Business version.  

I paid Intuit anther $15 to get NC downloaded and then tried to do the VA filing.  The filing failed with exactly the same errors in Windows 10 as occurred in MacOS...  so this ended the speculation about operating system differences.

The error message was " TP First Name must be entered." Followed by a data entry box to enter the name.  This message loops until.   

Just as we were about to give up and try to get another Case # generated that would hopefully stay opened I tried restarting TurboTax, going int FORMS to the VA Information Worksheet and deleted my first name out of the field.  The exact opposite of the error message.    BINGO, the filing worked.  TurboTax grabbed the name from the Federal Information Worksheet.   

I went back to MacOS and repeated the process there.  The problem also resolved and got to the filing point where I was informed I had already filed all three tax returns.

My kudos to CAM for pleasantly work through the options with me including providing Windows Versions of TurboTax to rule out OS issues.  Hopefully, Intuit management will see this posting and take a good hard look at how awful the level 2 process of texting irrelevant "shooting in the dark" directions to support staff that are on the phone with customers.  Also, management needs to rethink using a  closed in one call metric as a measure of support excellence.  All this does is push support staff to game the system to keep their supervisory off their backs to close cases.

Desktop TurboTax also on both MacOS and Windows needs to be fixed to check for necessary related info resident on the Federal Form Individual Worksheets  into the State Form during the error check step, not at the submit the tax form step when multiple returns with interdependent data are getting transmitted.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Here is the full story of dealing with Intuit Support to find a work around due to  the bug in TurboTax reported in this thread.  This effort took 5 hours of dedicated time, most of it wasted due the support person texting in the background to level 2 support that insisted on steps that had no relation to the problem.  

After my conversation with Intuit support person "CAT..." who was texting with Intuit level 2 person "Ker..." I called support again to see if any action had been taken on my situation documented in case # [phone number removed].  I was informed by support person "CAM..." that my case had been closed by CAT   This was upsetting to hear.  I asked CAM why would anyone close a case for a reported filing issue?  I asked if Intuit support staff have metrics related to closing calls.  I was told there is a lot of pressure to solve customer problems in one call.  That is an admirable goal, but closing cases that a customer expects to get fixed over time is gaming Intuit's  metrics system, in my opinion.

CAM was open to working with me to see if she could get me past the looping error message that was blocking filing a return generated using MacOS Ventura on the desktop version of TurboTax.  I shared my screen with CAM and showed her the looping that took place.  The only was out of the loop was to quit TurboTax and start over  through the filing process with all checks passing until a final check was made at the end when clicking the file my return button.

After some time of verifying entries and repeating I asked for level 2 support.  CAM then started testing with AND..." in the background.  This turned into a support disaster.  AND repeatedly requested steps that were not germaine to the problem.  Questions such as did you clear your browser cache? Did you try a different browser?  AND insisted on going through her list of questions even when told the problem was in issue with TurboTax Desktop where no browser is involved.  She then started requesting reinstall this and that, etc.  even knowing that a Federal and NC return had been filed with no problems at all, only the VA filing failed and I had no option to file by paper due to VA requiring e-filing for my state taxes.

I got CAM to drop AND off the call and asked if there was any escalation process that would result in a software engineer getting into the loop.  The answer was no.   There were lots of suggestions to use OVERRIDE or delete and reenter the form, etc. but there was no way to reenter the VA data in a new tax form since the looping return was tied to an already filed Federal and NC state returns.  TurboTax had locked down the VA form then aborted the filing process due to a perceived mismatch between the Federal and State information worksheet forms.

To rule out the Cam's speculation that something was amiss in my MacOS system, I asked if the Turbotax data file containing my 3 returns  would work with TurboTax on Windows 10.  She didn't know so a quick search on th internet indicated the data file will work cross platform.  I told Cam that I would be glad to see if the bug existed when using Windows 10 if she could provide a copy of Turbotax for Windows for me to use.  She did provide a download links for TurboTax Premier that I installed on Windows 10 running in a Parallels virtual machine on my Mac.  The Windows 10 version read my data file just time but reported a dependency on needing the NC state added in due to a cross tax dependency and that I also needed the Home & Business version of TurboTax.  When Cam asked which version I had earlier I said the expensive one because of the complexity.  That's why she provided Premier.  I look back at the Mac version and it was the Home & Business version.  

I paid Intuit anther $15 to get NC downloaded and then tried to do the VA filing.  The filing failed with exactly the same errors in Windows 10 as occurred in MacOS...  so this ended the speculation about operating system differences.

The error message was " TP First Name must be entered." Followed by a data entry box to enter the name.  This message loops until.   

Just as we were about to give up and try to get another Case # generated that would hopefully stay opened I tried restarting TurboTax, going int FORMS to the VA Information Worksheet and deleted my first name out of the field.  The exact opposite of the error message.    BINGO, the filing worked.  TurboTax grabbed the name from the Federal Information Worksheet.   

I went back to MacOS and repeated the process there.  The problem also resolved and got to the filing point where I was informed I had already filed all three tax returns.

My kudos to CAM for pleasantly work through the options with me including providing Windows Versions of TurboTax to rule out OS issues.  Hopefully, Intuit management will see this posting and take a good hard look at how awful the level 2 process of texting irrelevant "shooting in the dark" directions to support staff that are on the phone with customers.  Also, management needs to rethink using a  closed in one call metric as a measure of support excellence.  All this does is push support staff to game the system to keep their supervisory off their backs to close cases.

Desktop TurboTax also on both MacOS and Windows needs to be fixed to check for necessary related info resident on the Federal Form Individual Worksheets  into the State Form during the error check step, not at the submit the tax form step when multiple returns with interdependent data are getting transmitted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies