Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Us government obligations

When doing my federal taxes, I entered the amount of my dividends that were from US Government obligations.    When I go to the state portion of my taxes, how do I know that it took?  They have a section in the state (Michigan) about Capital Gains, but that isn't part of the US Gov't Obligation calculation.  If I entered the amount of my dividends that was from US Gov't Obligations in the federal section, do I need to enter it again in the state section?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

No, you do not need to enter it again. In most states, mutual fund dividends from interest on direct U.S. government securities are exempt from state and local taxes. 

The following U.S. Obligations are exempt from Michigan Individual Income Tax:

U.S. Government Bonds U.S. Savings Bonds – Series E, F, G and H U.S. Government Certificates U.S. Treasury Bills and Notes

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Cindy0H

No, you do not need to enter it again. In most states, mutual fund dividends from interest on direct U.S. government securities are exempt from state and local taxes. 

The following U.S. Obligations are exempt from Michigan Individual Income Tax:

U.S. Government Bonds U.S. Savings Bonds – Series E, F, G and H U.S. Government Certificates U.S. Treasury Bills and Notes

Hello- I have Turbo Tax Premier, and it imported my 1099-DIV from Fidelity.    However, when I was in the state filing section, it shows "this is what we've reported so far" and it was only the capital gain from a mutual fund sale- NO dividends at all!   The percentage of the reduction for US govt based obligations should be on the dividends NOT the capital gains.   Can this glitch in the program be fixed??

Nancy K

After many hours and much frustration and study, I have found that the way you must enter dividends from US obligations on TTX is to call them interest.  I got a supplemental information sheet from my investment company that shows the percent US income in the investment I own.  I had to manually calculate the amount that my state does not tax. At some point in the step by step TTX does ask if any of your interest is from US obligations.   TTX does not handle dividends from US obligations.  You have to treat your US dividends as US interest.  That way it will be handled correctly on both your federal and your state income tax. It is my understanding that no states tax this kind of income.  This is a problem that should be fixed by the TTX people.  It is a bug in the programming. It is very confusing, especially if you are keying everything in on your 1099s as printed.

I am not finding this same selection on Turbotax for Mac, but have always used it for Turbotax for Windows.

Is it now in a different location? It isn't available on the Federal or State.

I have just spent > 1 hour on phone with Turbotax rep who is arguing with me that the selection should be present. Instead she insists it should be on the 1099....uh....clueless.

Please help if you can.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Interest and dividends are entered differently. For dividends:

1. Go to  federal income
  2. Edit your 1099-DIV
  3. Go through the whole process. When you come to Uncommon Situations Stop
  4. Select a portion of these dividends is US Government interest
  5. Continue

The program should take it through to your state. If you still have trouble, reply with the state.

@saunder1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes I've seen that screen many times using Windows.

You are showing the Windows screen shot. Problem is only with Mac version.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.12.36 PM.png

AmyC
Expert Alumni

What happens when you select to adjust the amounts? Is the program not moving forward or carrying? Please give us more information as to the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am on the commensurate screen on MAC as the one you noted for WINDOWS.    "Uncommon situations"

On mac, the selection list is different and does not include an option to provide to enter interest from US Obligations.

Nor does the State tax return user interface.

I am now resigned to file out the form manually on Turbotax by locating the NC State tax form.

Sigh....

Oh I see what you are asking. These selections on that next screen are only for Federal taxes, not for US Obligations for State tax.

I also called the Support line. That person tried to argue with me about tax law and also tried to tell me it should be on the 1099. Geez. Need better support reps. 1 hour on phone. Finally hung up.

Whomever coded the Mac version did not use the Windows version as an example.

I will however thank the Community for trying to help. Needs a programmer to fix.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies