rwilleke

Underpayment Penalty for Minnesota - Can't e-File

I have a $42 underpayment due on my Minnesota state taxes.  My federal and state tax returns both were reviewed without errors.  When I attempted to e-file (and after I paid the $24.99 state e-file fee), TurboTax reports that I cannot e-file the MN forms and puts  me in a form checking loop sending me back to the underpayment amount on Schedule M-15:

- Transmit Returns Now

- We Need to Make One More Check

- back to underpayment amount (and continues this three step loop)

How do I move forward to e-file my federal forms and get a refund on state e-file because I need to mail the MN forms?

Thanks ...

DMarkM1

To only e-file the federal return indicate that in the filing interview and complete that process.  Then go back and download/print your state return.  You will need to contact a phone representative to get your state e-file fee refunded.  Here is a link to use.   

GStevens

Your answer fits my situation, but your link doesn't take me to a page where I can contact a phone representative.  The "contact us" page won't let me enter a question, and doesn't list any phone numbers. 

jillinmn

Yes, this happened to me too a couple of years ago.  I had to call Turbo Tax to get my filing fee refunded. They were very nice about this and did it quickly and efficiently.  That said, they really need to change their software to tell us BEFORE they take our money that we CANNOT file because of the penalty.  

AkinaLO
Employee TurboTax Specialist

@GStevens Please use the link below to contact a TurboTax phone agent.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

mewicker

This just happened to me - I got all the way through the payment process, only to be told I couldn't e-file my Minnesota return.

Imagine discovering this near tax deadline, and having to print / mail. 

ScottMN

Continues to be a problem in March 2022. Why hasn't Turbo Tax corrected this issue after two years? Tell us before we pay the E-file fee that an underpayment penalty requires Minnesota filers to print and mail. Calling Turbo Tax only provides a reference to this discussion forum. I will just dispute the charge using my bank. 

MoniqueLO_
Employee TurboTax Specialist

In this public forum, we are provided with form availability information, but not an explanation as to why certain forms are not supported through E-file.

If you have any questions about a refund, please feel free to contact Customer Support so they can assist you. You will want to use the keywords billing issues when you call so you get to the right person.

@ScottMN