Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax ripping us off?

I pay to get Home and Business which is already overpriced.  Then to efile my state return it's another $20?  How is this ok?  And why is no one saying anything about this?  This is a total rip off.  Everything should be covered when you buy the software.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

TurboTax ripping us off?

There has always been a state e-filing fee when you use desktop software.  It is very easily avoided by printing and mailing your state return instead of e-filing the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

TurboTax ripping us off?

The instructions on how to print and mail it were really vague and multiple times they said "Change your mind about e-filing?  Go back into TurboTax and get ripped off!"  They know it's a hassle and they don't make it easy, the reason I use TurboTax is because I don't know what I'm doing.  I don't want to screw up the mailing portion.  It said I needed all my w2s and other documents that show state info.  But didn't say exactly which ones.  They said it needed a copy of my federal return, I didn't know how much of it or what parts.  It was just really really confusing so yeah, I fell into their trap and paid the ridiculous $20 fee.  Intuit is a really greedy company and it's messed up that the exorbitant amount you pay upfront doesn't allow for state e-filing.  And there always being a fee isn't a good excuse for what they are doing.  

Ripedoff

TurboTax ripping us off?

• I have used TurboTax for almost 20 years but this is the last one. I paid then I found out I had to pay another 50 for them to virtual do  nothing for state taxes.  Then my e-file didn't work and they say oh just send it in by mail. I had to take another day off work just to deal with this JUNK. HOW is TurboTax even in business at this price and dealing with customers in an underhanded way just to get me to pay an extra $50 for what. I hope you enjoy your money this year because it will be the last unless you discount this ridiculous fee. unless you discount my 2020 tax program payment. What a joke. Who is running this company, how did it go from awesome to sucks so quick. I just used them in 2020. What happened 
Ripedoff

TurboTax ripping us off?

They just charged me $50 just to do my state and it would not even e-file

TurboTax ripping us off?

@Ripedoff When you use online TurboTax you pay separately for the state returns--as it shows clearly on the screens displaying the fees for the various versions of the software.  Do you see that it says "State Additional" under every version except for the Free Edition? The fee is the same whether you e-file it or mail it.

ONLINE 2020

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

TurboTax ripping us off?

Always printed my state tax. This year I tried efile. 

It's a waste of money.

$25 and I get a vague link to a site the I have to search for a place to create an account then wait for an email confirmation.

Save your money. Print and mail the state return with a check.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies