Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gfdew
Returning Member

Turbotax error preventing state e-filling

Hi

I have received the following error that prevents my state e-file:  Taxpayer (or spouse) has wages from more than one employer that need to be allocated based on work days inside and outside Massachusetts.

When initially I imported my W2 that has state income different from my total income and apportioned it by days in turbotax - all was ok. That I was told I need to apportion my total income, not the one in box 16 of W2. I went to W2 and changed box 16 equal to box 1 amount and kept the same by day apportion while now with different amount. And I got the error. Please advice on how to fix it, it looks like data entry error. Last year I filed with apportion by days just fine.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Turbotax error preventing state e-filling

You said:  "I went to W2 and changed..."

The screen How Massachusetts Handles Income for Nonresidents in the Massachusetts nonresident state tax return apportions your W-2 income by one of several methods.  You are not advised to actually change any amounts on your W-2.

You state that Massachusetts income box 16 of the W-2 differs from box 1 of the W-2.  

Has your employer already apportioned your box 1 income for the Massachusetts amount?  For instance, if box 1 was $30,000 and box 16 was $20,000, has the employer already made an apportionment?

See also this TurboTax Help.

@gfdew 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies