Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can apportion my MA income using the apportionment method by days. The income on my W-2 form shows it all under MA. How can I apportion my income on TurboTax?

I can apportion my MA income using the apportionment method by days. However, all of my income on my W-2 form shows it all as MA income.  How can I apportion my income using TurboTax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I can apportion my MA income using the apportionment method by days. The income on my W-2 form shows it all under MA. How can I apportion my income on TurboTax?

What is your Massachusetts resident situation?  Did you live there all year, move from MA, or are a nonresident working in Massachusetts?  Or, are you considered a resident because you maintained a residence there and were physically present for 183 days while your real home is in another state?  The answer to your question depends on these factors, and I'd like to assist you.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have been a non-resident all year.  I work out of my office which is based in MA, but I also work in New Hampshire and other states.  When I fill out my MA tax forms by hand, I can apportion my income by days, even though my entire income is shown as MA income on my W-2.  I have been doing this for several years.  But now I would like to file my MA tax return electronically, and TurboTax will not let me apportion my income.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am happy to assist you.  In the Massachusetts nonresident return, the second or third screen is Non-Massachusetts Portion of Income.  There is a box that has the "all states" amount, and the box that has the ""Non-MA Portion" amount.  This is where you will enter the amount of income not earned in Massachusetts.  If you click on the More Info link, you will be able to see that it accepts the calculation by days that you mention.  Unfortunately, it looks like you make that calculation manually.  But the screen you are looking for is at the end of this answer.  (I can't guarantee electronic filing.  In some states, when information is manually changed, you are not allowed to e-file.  I hope that's not the case with you, but it is a possibility).  

Here's the screen shot:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies