Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax 2023 not calculating Colorado Sales Tax Rebate correctly

I should qualify for the Colorado Sales Tax Rebate of $800 (TABOR). TurboTax asked me the two questions needed to qualify me and said I should get the $800 refund, but when it calculates my state tax refund the $800 is not included there. Is this a known issue? Do I have to file my state taxes with another provider to obtain the proper refund? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you answer YES to the question after the incarceration question?    You can view the state tax summary to view the credit (without paying).   You should see the $800 on the line that says Refundable Credits.   In my example below, I got the credit...   And I saw the refund meter change as soon as I answered YES to the second question.   I owed $1723 before applying the credit.   

2nd question after the incarceration question:  Will this return be filed by April 15, 2024 (or by October 15, 2024, if you file an extension)?

Note:   To qualify for the Colorado sales tax refund, your return must be postmarked by April 15, 2024 (or by October 15, 2024, if you file an extension).

[removed photo - PII]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

11 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Are you an eligible full-year resident? See TABOR.

I have seen a number of questions, and when the taxpayer goes all the way through the Colorado interview, they get the credit, unless they answered that they had been incarcerated.

So there must be something else.

I do qualify (I have not been incarcerated) and TurboTax says "Congratulations! You qualify for the $800 credit!"

But when my total refund is displayed and I'm ready to file the $800 is not in that calculation. 

Is there a way to see an itemized list of taxes/credits for the state like there is for the federal return? There's no detail that I can access to see whether the system actually realizes it was supposed to apply the $800.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Which TurboTax product are you using: Online or Desktop?

Are you able to see your Colorado output forms? Your TABOR refund should be appearing on lines 34 and 35 on Form 104.

I have been trying to find where I see the details of my state tax form. It seems like I can only access that after I pay and file. I want to review it before. Can you advise how I can do so?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

You cannot see the state output forms for the Online product until after you pay. This is necessary to prevent people from doing their tax return and copying the numbers off the forms and then not paying.

You can see a summary of the state return, but it does not have a lot of detail. On the left, click on Tax Tools, then Tools, then in the center, click on View Tax Summary. If you see the 1040 (federal), then go back into TurboTax, navigate to your state input, then go the Tax Tools route. If you are in the state interview when you say View Tax Summary, the state summary will appear.

As an aside, I have not seen any cases where someone who qualified for the TABOR refund didn't get it.

As I suspected. 

Hypothetically, what happens if I file, review my state forms and find that the tax credit was not applied? What do I do then to claim it?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Once you can see the PDF forms, you can provide us in the Community with more details about your return (or hopefully see the refunds on the lines I indicated above).

Just to confirm, you are a full-year resident of Colorado? Are you 18 or older? 

Yes to both. 

Filing shouldn't be a "wait and see" activity IMHO

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you answer YES to the question after the incarceration question?    You can view the state tax summary to view the credit (without paying).   You should see the $800 on the line that says Refundable Credits.   In my example below, I got the credit...   And I saw the refund meter change as soon as I answered YES to the second question.   I owed $1723 before applying the credit.   

2nd question after the incarceration question:  Will this return be filed by April 15, 2024 (or by October 15, 2024, if you file an extension)?

Note:   To qualify for the Colorado sales tax refund, your return must be postmarked by April 15, 2024 (or by October 15, 2024, if you file an extension).

[removed photo - PII]

The problem is that Turbotax does correctly populate the answers to the three qualification questions on Colorado Form EP104 for the TABOR refund ($800 - individual $1600 -couple).  This is a defect I noted in Turbotax Premier.

The solution is to enter the correct answers on the form yourself.  Open your return, go into the forms and select CO EP104 on the list. Scroll down to the section on State tax Refund Qualification (p.3?) and fill in the answers to the three questions , [1] CO resident, [2] not incarcerated and [3] have reportable income.  The rebate will then appear and be applied. No need to file elsewhere or separately claim the credit with a paper filing.

On the form, the first question is whether the return will be filed by  4/15 or later with an extension, second question is no incarceration and third is reportable income. Enter answers correctly, and the rebate will be appear.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies