Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbottice
Returning Member

Where is the deduction for 529 contributions for New York state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To add, edit, or delete NY State College Savings (Section 529) Plan contributions, please review the following instructions:

1. If you are using TurboTax CD/Download, open appropriate tax return.
  2. On the top, select STATE TAXES tab.
  3. On the Let's work on your state return screen, select Continue.
  4. On the Your State Returns screen, select Edit on New York.
  5. On the Your 2017 New York Return screen, select Continue.
  6. If you have not gone through the NY state tax screens yet, answer questions and Continue to the Changes to Federal Income screen.
  7. If you have already gone through the NY state tax screens, on the You Just Finished Your New York Return screen, under Changes to Federal Income, select Start or Update on Adjustments to federal income.
  8. On the Changes to Federal Income screen, under Education adjustments, select Start or Update on New York 529 college savings account activity. See attached screenshot.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

To add, edit, or delete NY State College Savings (Section 529) Plan contributions, please review the following instructions:

1. If you are using TurboTax CD/Download, open appropriate tax return.
  2. On the top, select STATE TAXES tab.
  3. On the Let's work on your state return screen, select Continue.
  4. On the Your State Returns screen, select Edit on New York.
  5. On the Your 2017 New York Return screen, select Continue.
  6. If you have not gone through the NY state tax screens yet, answer questions and Continue to the Changes to Federal Income screen.
  7. If you have already gone through the NY state tax screens, on the You Just Finished Your New York Return screen, under Changes to Federal Income, select Start or Update on Adjustments to federal income.
  8. On the Changes to Federal Income screen, under Education adjustments, select Start or Update on New York 529 college savings account activity. See attached screenshot.
babybluec

What's the amount I can enter in Turbotax for the 529 College Savings Contribution entry?  I think the deduction is capped at $5,000.  But I actually contributed $7,000 and Turbotax doesn't cap my deduction in the calculation.  I am able to enter the actual contribution $7,000, my New York tax calculated by Turbotax is lower than if I enter the max allowed deductible amount $5,000.

Turbotax also asked for Total New York 529 Contributions (from 1998 through 2018) made to New York 529 College Savings Program accounts.  Should I enter the actual amount contributed which exceeded $5,000 per year, or should I cap my entry of the contribution at max deductible $5,000?

It'll be helpful if Turbotax applies the cap in the program.  It's unclear which amount to enter in the case where the actual 529 contribution exceeds the max deductible amount.

BrooklynThomas
Returning Member

Did anyone have any feedback on this last question?  First of all the program doesn't seem to cap the contribution (so you have to cap yourself at 10k or it will give you too much of a deduction), at least the 2018 version.  Second, its unclear whether they want you to give all contributions <= 10k for each year from 1998 on, or the full amount.  It seems to want the capped amount for each year, but the question about total contributions seems to want the uncapped number.

I agree!  TurboTax is exposing users to an error on their state tax returns!  In my case, in calendar year 2021, my wife and I contributed a total of $21,100 to the two New York state 529 plans we have for our two children.  While TurboTax says "but not more than $10,000 for this year" in parentheses, the software allows you to enter much more than the $10,000 limit (for husband and wife -- married filing jointly).

When I entered just the $10,000 (cap), my NY state tax refund computed to $3,335.  But when I entered $21,100, my NY state tax refund jumped to $4,037!

TurboTax should fix this and add some validation to avoid letting users exceed their caps ($5,000 or $10,000).

Curious to hear what an expert has to say about this.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies