turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi I received a letter from the state of Illinois saying they could not verify how much income tax was withheld. They cut my return in half.

My federal and Virginia returns were sent to me with no issue. I would expect for how much I paid for this service that there would be no problem filing my Illinois return also.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi I received a letter from the state of Illinois saying they could not verify how much income tax was withheld. They cut my return in half.

The states can ask for proof of withholding at any time....that has little to do with your actual tax filing.  IF they see something they think you might have mis-entered..then they send a letter asking for more information.....and holding some of your refund until they can confirm the situation

..you just send them the information they ask for to prove you had IL tax withholding and how many $$ it was, or VA withholding and paid to VA if you are claiming taxes paid to another state...or you call IL at the phone number they have on their request letter, and you talk to them to see exactly what they want mailed to them as proof.

This happens to a certain % of filed tax returns all the time.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The states can ask for proof of withholding at any time....that has little to do with your actual tax filing.  IF they see something they think you might have mis-entered..then they send a letter asking for more information.....and holding some of your refund until they can confirm the situation

..you just send them the information they ask for to prove you had IL tax withholding and how many $$ it was, or VA withholding and paid to VA if you are claiming taxes paid to another state...or you call IL at the phone number they have on their request letter, and you talk to them to see exactly what they want mailed to them as proof.

This happens to a certain % of filed tax returns all the time.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies