Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nanr93

Live in NJ, work in NYC - remove duplicate wages?

Hi, I'm not sure what to select on the Remove Duplicate Wages screen, for my NJ State tax return. I live in NJ and work in NYC - and must therefore file a return for both states. On the page telling me to remove the duplicate wages, do I remove the NJ line or the NY line? Again, this is for the NJ State tax return. Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

If you are working on your NJ resident state tax return and your wages are from NY, remove the NJ wages line. This way the system knows that your NY wages are being taxed in NJ and you will be able to take your NY nonresident taxes as a state income tax credit on your NJ resident state tax return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DS30

If you are working on your NJ resident state tax return and your wages are from NY, remove the NJ wages line. This way the system knows that your NY wages are being taxed in NJ and you will be able to take your NY nonresident taxes as a state income tax credit on your NJ resident state tax return.

Thank you. Yes I've done this. But still saying that I will owe NY around $2k. I had the exact same scenario with my 2015 return where I lived in NJ, worked in NJ or the first half of the year, and then for the second half of the year I worked in NYC. I only received refunds on that return. This is the same scenario.

Is this answer accurate? TurboTax staff have provided a different answer on other links which makes this even more confusing.
oleg-s-a

Super confusing completely opposite answers provided in different paces: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3584201">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3584201</a>, tried to find an answer for this question fro about an hour.

Thank you for reaching out to us @oleg.s.a. This post and the link you have referred to are old posts. Please post another question from your profile.

This is an old post.  The correct way to handle this situation:

Below are some common duplicate wage situations that are handled on this screen.

Example 1 - One line listed on screen contains NJ:
Check the boxes for lines other than NJ and they will be removed. (You may need to leave NJ and another state too if the total income is split between the states and taxable to NJ.)

Example 2 - No state listed is NJ:
- Scenario #1 - Add up the state wage amounts for the W-2 on the screen and see if the total of all states is close to the federal amount in the text at the top of the screen. If it is, then you don't need to check any boxes to remove wages from the W-2. It is OK if the number is over or under the fed amount if you have payroll deductions/credits on the W-2 (such as a 401K or other information in box 12 that is not allowed in NJ).

- Scenario #2 - Look for a state line that is closest to the fed amount. When in doubt, use the larger of the state lines that are closest to the fed wages. Check all other lines to remove them from being taxable in NJ.

Note: In some cases if a specific line for NJ is not on the W-2 you may need to adjust these state wages on the screen titled: "Other Income". The most common wage adjustment would be for retirement pre-tax contributions other than to a 401K listed in box 12 of your W-2, but there are other adjustments there that may also need to be included as income in NJ when they are not included for federal or another states taxable wages.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies