turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JCongdon

State Taxes in Kentucky for Non-Resident

I am a wisconsin resident working for a company in Kentucky.   My residence is Kentucky.   I am paying state income taxes in Wisconsin.   In filing with Turbo Tax I attempted to complete filing with Non-Resident Reciprocal state as WI is a reciprocal state.  I continues to give me an error that I must file a standard 740-NP form in Kentucky.  When I do this I am charged for Kentucky State income tax.  I assume this is in error that I should not be paying state income tax in both states when living in WI, but working in KY.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

<<"My residence is Kentucky.">>

How long did you live in Kentucky?  Kentucky tax law is that reciprocity does not apply to persons who live in Kentucky for more than 183 days during the tax year.

See Page 4, https://revenue.ky.gov/Forms/740-NP%202017%20Kentucky%20Individual%20Income%20Tax%20Form%20Packet%20...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You have to File Form 740-NPR if you are a resident of a reciprocal state: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin AND you had Kentucky income tax withheld and had no other income from Kentucky sources.  

If you submitted the Exemption 42A809 to your employer, and did not have any Kentucky State tax withheld, then you do not need to file a Kentucky tax return.  If you did have Kentucky tax withheld, then you must file Form 740-NP-R,  Kentucky Income Tax Return, Nonresident–Reciprocal State to receive a refund.

If you are receiving an error, I suggest you delete your Kentucky return, then, add Kentucky back again and go through the interview carefully.  You should also review your answers in the Personal Info section related to where you lived and where you worked.  

If the above doesn't work, then I suggest you call Customer Support so that someone can troubleshoot in real time while you do a screen share. 

The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below.

We're open daily from 5 AM to 9 PM PT.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax mobile app

TurboTax CD/Download software

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies