turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State tax efile

I paid the $54.99 extra to efile my state taxes because TurboTax said I could efile. Then when I got to the end of the tax process it said I’m not able to efile my Alabama state taxes. So how do I either efile or get my $54.99 refunded? Wait times are over an hour so getting an actual person to help has been very difficult 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

State tax efile

It sounds like the Alabama e-file was rejected by the state. What was the e-file rejection message you received? Please copy and paste it in here so we can better assist. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax efile

I did not receive a rejection from Alabama because the turbo tax program gave me the message below and will not let me e file. 
I checked with the state and Intuit is a recognized third party that they do accept e filing from.

How do i proceed to e file?
I also cannot copy and paste from the turbo tax program. Here is the message I see word for word:

“NOT ELIBLE FOR E FILING

You have No return eligible for e-filing

The following return has been transmitted:

- Federal Return on 7/9/2020 (accepted on 7/9/2020)

The following return cannot be filed electronically:

- Alabama Return

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

State tax efile

If there was no e-file rejection message for Alabama that you can see, then it sounds like there were forms and schedules required with the AL return that cannot be e-filed. You will have to print and mail. 

Here's how to preview/print your returns:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
  • Select Print Center and then Print, Save, or Preview This Year's Return to preview your entire return, including all forms and worksheets (you may be asked to register or pay first).
  • If you want to see all the worksheets, also select the option to include government and TurboTax worksheets, then select View or print forms. This will allow you to print your complete tax file.

@Daysolcoffeelab

GeeKee

State tax efile

trying to efile Alabama state tax / message stating that he can not efile state and that he will need to mail it.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

State tax efile

@GeeKee

Alabama Department of Revenue Will Begin Accepting Returns on Jan. 24 MONTGOMERY – Are you ready to file your income tax return? Tax Season 2022 begins on Monday, Jan. 24, and the filing deadline is April 18.

If you are receiving a message stating you cannot e-file your state return, there must also be a statement telling you why.  Make the suggested corrections and then try to e-file.  There may be forms that are not available yet for your state and other types of issues.

Jae22
Returning Member

State tax efile

Seems to be a work around that was discovered today:

When you get to the opt out part, click you do not want to opt out. This will prompt a form... When the form populates write "do not want to opt out and enter todays date" on the reason line... this should allow you to move forward on the AL state and e-file without errors. Worked today! 2/11/24. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies