State filing - Residency Status

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgupta13
Level 1

I have SSN. My wife got ITIN just now. We filed jointly for 2019. 

Now we started filing Indiana state return. It asks: "Your Indiana residency status". I lived in Indiana for the whole 2019 year but my wife arrived in USA for the first time in July 2019.

QUESTIONS:

1. Should I select "part-year resident"? Because I lived full year and my wife lived only 6 months in Indiana.

2. What about "County of Residence" on 1/1/2019? I know mine is MONROE county. But my wife wasn't even in USA on 1/1/2019. Should I select "No Entry" for her? When I do this, it says that my return can be delayed if I select "No Entry" for the county of residence and employment. 

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Form IT-40PNR for Part-Year and Full-Year
Nonresidents
Use Form IT-40PNR if you (and/or your spouse, if married filing
jointly):
• Were Indiana residents for less than a full-year or not at all, or
• Are filing jointly and one was a full-year Indiana resident and the
other was not a full-year Indiana resident

residency status - non-resident

use 00 for her county

sgupta13
Level 1

1. Don't you think it should be part-year resident? I am not sure why you are suggesting "non-resident". I lived in Indiana for whole 2019 year and my wife lived starting 06/2019. 
  2. Turbotax isn't allowing me to enter 00 for county for my wife. Also, I selected "No Entry" for resident county, it automatically changed it to MONROE. Screenshot attached. 
  3. Turbotax automatically changed the dates my wife lived in Indiana from "6/26/2019-12/31/2019" to "1/1/2019 - 12/31/2019". 

Please help. @Anonymous 

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.43.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.43.28 PM.png

sgupta13
Level 1

Please let me know as mentioned in my previous post. 

Summary of questions asked in the previous post:

[1] Shouldn't it be part-year resident?

[2] Turbotax isn't allowing me to put 00 for my wife's residence county and employment county.

[3] Turbotax automatically changes the dates my wife lived in Indiana from "6/26/2019-12/31/2019" to "1/1/2019 - 12/31/2019".  

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings