Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

meuni
Returning Member

State Filing download

I purchased Turbo Tax Deluxe and was ready to begin completing my return. On the "Your State Returns" page, I clicked Start for my state. It downloaded and confirmed the information was up to date, and then brought me back to "Your State Returns." However, that page does not provide an option for me to continue. I can either click Start again, which completes the download again, or click on Done with States. 

Attempting to find a fix, I clicked on the "TurboTax State Download" tab, but that page says it'll finish the state return for $44.99.

Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

State Filing download

To avoid that 44.99 fee for Premium Services you have to change the payment method and choose to pay the 19.99 upfront with a credit/debit card or a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.   After you change the payment method, make sure before filing that you look at the "order review" screen and are only going to be paying 19.99 (plus sales tax.)   

If there's still an extra fee showing after all that, it might still be trying to charge you for Audit Defense, in which case one would go to the REVIEW tab, select  the subtab "Audit Protection", navigate past the Audit Risk meter, and then scroll down on an Audit Defense screen and decline Audit Defense.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
texasboy53
Returning Member

State Filing download

UTAH

I have the same issue and when I bought Turbotax and includes a State Download.  What is all the paying ANYTHING since it comes with the main program. (At least mine does)  When I click state (UTAH) it states it is saving the Federal and then starts the download process and even says the process is completed.  I click the State again and it goes thru the same thing again but I never see the State (Utah) tax file.  What is up.  I need to get this done.  I reloaded the entire program and loaded it again.  Never had this issue in previous years.  Been with TurboTax a long time.   

Travis

State Filing download

@ meuni and @ texasboy53 

Is this your issue?  Are you in a state download update loop?

FAQ:  State download update loop won't allow state to install
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-date-after-...

Meuni:

It sounds like it tried to charge you for an additional state program for 44.99.   Or did your program already include a state program?

You mentioned Deluxe.  Is it the version of Deluxe that has a state program included?  Deluxe comes both ways--Federal only, or a combo version of Federal and State.    If it is the combo Fed and State version, there is no additional charge to get your state program.  So in that latter case, make sure you are not in the state download update loop.

texasboy53
Returning Member

State Filing download

Yes but ALL the suggestions, and I am grateful for them, do not work.  Ran the patch to remove states and followed all the suggestions including running my PC in SAFE Mode.  No luck.  Please TurboTax fix this issue. 

My issue is with UTAH but I see other people from other states with the same issue.

Travis

State Filing download

@texasboy53 wrote:

Yes but ALL the suggestions, and I am grateful for them, do not work.  Ran the patch to remove states and followed all the suggestions including running my PC in SAFE Mode.  No luck.  Please TurboTax fix this issue. 

My issue is with UTAH but I see other people from other states with the same issue.

Travis

Here are a couple of options.  You'll have to choose which one you want to try first:

Have you tried doing a forceful uninstall and reinstall of TurboTax, then rebooting, then running the updater, then downloading the state program again?  The forceful uninstall cleans out any remnant folders and files that a regular uninstall doesn't.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/forcefully-uninstall-and-reinstall-turbotax/00/260...

Or you can phone TurboTax Support, and ask them to provide you the Utah state program as a separate downloadable file, which you launch to install it into your program.   Some users have reported that has worked.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a call back.  In the form, be sure to indicate in the dropdown menu that you use the CD/download version for Windows.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

State Filing download

@texasboy53 

ADDENDUM:

See my new answer above.  If you do go the forceful uninstall/reinstall route, I like to first make a backup copy of my *.tax2019 data file on a thumb drive or other external media "just in case."    The default directory for the *.tax2019 data file is the Documents\TurboTax directory unless you changed the location.    The uninstaller shouldn't touch that directory, but I like to have a backup of the data file to be safe.  In fact, I frequently back up a copy externally anyway after every session or two.

meuni
Returning Member

State Filing download

I purchased the deluxe version that includes the state return. So it appears to be the state loop issue, but I don't have WinZip. I would be charged $30 to add it, which I can do but that is frustrating since this is a TurboTax issue. Are there alternatives that won't cost me more money?

State Filing download

@meuni wrote:

I purchased the deluxe version that includes the state return. So it appears to be the state loop issue, but I don't have WinZip. I would be charged $30 to add it, which I can do but that is frustrating since this is a TurboTax issue. Are there alternatives that won't cost me more money?

You don't need to purchase anything extra.  Windows 10 ( and earlier Windows versions, too) doesn't require a third-party unzipping program.  Windows 10 has built-in native unzipping capability.    I've never had to use WinZip.  You shouldn't have to buy anything.

For a quick look at the method for unzipping, see this Microsoft help article and scroll to the section "Unzip."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028088/windows-zip-and-unzip-files

When you right-click the zipped file, in the Windows popup the menu choice you want is likely labeled "extract all" and won't say "unzip."  But "extract" is the same thing.

Or see this more-detailed article at Tenforums which has screen images of multiple ways to unzip a file in Windows 10:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/44101-unzip-files-zipped-folder-windows-10-a.html

There are also YouTube videos on how to do it using the Windows native unzipping feature.

Or phone TurboTax Support and ask them to push you a standalone download of the current state program installation file for your state, which should be up to date.   I have seen some users say that solved their issue.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a call back.  In the form, be sure to indicate in the dropdown menu that you use the CD/download version for Windows.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies