turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal return is being held for review. But If the state has already isued and sent a refund . wouldnt that mean my return was done correct for federal to.

I live in califirnia and its for 2018. Tax year. 

Why would federal hold my return but not the stste of california?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My federal return is being held for review. But If the state has already isued and sent a refund . wouldnt that mean my return was done correct for federal to.

State and Federal are separate. IRS handles the Federal return while the state you filed with handles of course the state returns.  Your federal return could be held for review for a number of reasons, it could be as there is something that set a flag off the IRS looks for. If its been longer then 21 days since your Federal was accepted by the IRS you can call the IRS to see why its held for review.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

State and Federal are separate. IRS handles the Federal return while the state you filed with handles of course the state returns.  Your federal return could be held for review for a number of reasons, it could be as there is something that set a flag off the IRS looks for. If its been longer then 21 days since your Federal was accepted by the IRS you can call the IRS to see why its held for review.

Thank you. Ive asked and havent recieved a letter ither. They never know why. When i call. Thry tell me they cant see any issues though. But its being reviewed.
Does anyone know how long it takes .or how quickly it can be to get done reviewing my return.

Did you claim the extra income credit or additional child tax credit?

Yes

Could the fact that i baught saveings bonds from the irs. Be a reason to review my return or delay it?

Its most likely due to the fact you claimed the extra income credit. The IRS are reviewing those claims at a deeper level in an attempt to prevent tax fraud. You should see your refund soon if there are no issues with your return.

Well after contacting a tax advocate she was able to tell me that imy employer haddnt sent in my w2z or something. So it was as if i was trying to claim income that they couldnt verrify.
The info was there to see but the irs just wouldnt explain what i needed to get for them. N had me waiting for no reason all this time.

Its still gnna take a lil while but atleast i feel like i can help to get my return faster now.

How did you find this out? I call and the automated system says it's being processed then hangs up on me. Cannot get to anyone live.

Yea the irs wont tell you nything. I had to get a tax advocate to get me that info.i wouldnt even known even to today had i waited for a letter ot some kind of responce from .irs.
Get a tax advocate they help so much.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies