Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

celoka84

If i owe state taxes in one state and not the state i reside in, they will still intercept any state refund regardless of state filed right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

If i owe state taxes in one state and not the state i reside in, they will still intercept any state refund regardless of state filed right?

States are pretty relentless about collecting...has the state you owe sent you anything about a lien being placed or anything like that?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Honestly i cant remember. I do however remember them sending me a letter about owed something. I called and she explained to me on the phone about supposed unfiled taxes from 2 prior returns which i thought i filed but i guess i didnt.  Im hoping they can intercept my Pennsylvania tax refund. Will they intercept my federal at all too?

@Opus 17  @TaxGuyBill   either of you know anything about states collecting for one another?   I've never had a client in that type of situation before.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Some states have reciprocal agreements.  What are the two states involved here?

Pennsylvania and West Virginia

West Virginia says i have 3 different years 06,07 and 09 of unfiled state and owe $5000. Ive lived in pa for 2 yrs now but im unsure how i can go back to these specific yrs of unfiled returns and figure out how to file them properly. This year im worried because i drove for a trucking conpany for 3 months but when i called about w2 releases, gave my info and they tell me they have no records of me ever being an employee and wont get a w2. A tax preparation place told me to file without it. But a relative told me ill go to jail for unfiled federal returns from a
employer.

I used to live in West Virginia but now reside in Pennsylvania and have been for 2 yrs now.  If West Virginia intercepts my Pennsylvania state return ill be ok with it.  Will they also intercept my federal also?

I was a company driver at schneider national.i know im supposed to get a w2 but when i called payroll services, they didnt have me on file for anything in the data base so im now worried since i filed my taxes for current employer knowing i worked elsewhere but no chance of getting a w2 from former employer...will i be in trouble for not filing for former employer since i know i worked there legally as any other job and without a w2?

I owe West Virginia the state taxes for apparently unfiled 3 yrs of state when i previously lived there. I now live in Pennsylvania and havnt filed anything for West Virginia for 2 yrs. They will still intercept my refund right?  State only or both state and federal?

You need to see an accountant.

For 2006, 2007, and 2009, you can get transcripts of your federal returns from the IRS, and use them as the basis for your WV returns.  But there won't be any software that can do those old returns so you will need to get the forms from the state and do it by hand, or see an accountant.  (You owe WV taxes if you lived in WV, no matter where you worked.)

PA and WV have a reciprocal tax agreement.  If you live in WV but work in PA, you can file a form with the employer to stop them withholding PA tax, and then you only file a WV tax return.  But you have to file the form to stop the withholding.  If you have PA tax withheld, you have to file both a PA non-resident return and a WV resident return.

For 2017, something seems very bizarre.  Were you an independent contractor?  You might get a 1099-MISC form instead of a W-2, and you then report self-employment income.  If the company has no record of you and doesn't report your income to the IRS (the company is supposed to send a copy of your W-2 or 1099 to the IRS), then there is no particular way for the IRS to catch you for not reporting.  

But there is a way for you to report employee wages using a substitute W-2 form if you think you were an employee, or if you get a 1099-MISC you report self-employment income.

You can probably handle 2017 on your own but with the prior problem, you may want to get an accountant to do everything at once.

Dnice2me

Illinois & Georgia

@Dnice2me   

"Illinois & Georgia"

Posting three words to an old thread is not an effective way to get help.  We do not know what you are trying to ask.  Start your own new thread with your own question.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies