Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gigi71

I live in Indiana--but work in Kentucky. My employer uses an IN Employer ID number, but I have local taxes take out from KY and IN. Can I get the KY local taxes back?

the local ky tax is 1450

I also pay 650 to my IN local tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I live in Indiana--but work in Kentucky. My employer uses an IN Employer ID number, but I have local taxes take out from KY and IN. Can I get the KY local taxes back?

Yes. You likely will get back most, if not all, of your Indiana local tax paid.  While Indiana and Kentucky do have a reciprocal agreement that states that you only pay state tax where you live (Indiana), the same agreement does not apply to the local taxes paid.  However, Indiana does allow you to claim a credit on the amount of local taxes you pay to another state to offset the local taxes you would have to pay in Indiana. 

Let’s say, for example, that upon doing your return, your local Indiana tax liability is $1000.  Since you paid $1450 to a KY locality, you will receive a credit for what you paid, giving you a net IN local liability of $0.  You will not get a refund on the $450 “extra” paid to the KY locality, but you will be refunded the $650 you paid to Indiana.  If, on the other hand, your IN liability were $1600, your KY local tax credit would bring this amount down to $150.  You would receive a $500 refund from the local tax portion of your return. 

Keep in mind, however, that this amount is only on the local tax portion of your return.  If you owe on the state tax portion, the amount of your refund will be reduced accordingly.  On the other hand, if you are due a state tax refund, this local portion is added to it. 

To do this in TurboTax:

Open your return with your login and click Take Me to My Return

Click on the States tab in the left-hand column and select the Indiana return.

Navigate to the Indiana Taxes and Credits screen

Select Start on the line Credit for Non-Indiana Local Taxes (see screenshot at the end of the answer)

Answer the appropriate questions on the next screens  

When finished, you will see that the credit will be applied, and your refund will go up accordingly. 

ALSO NOTE:  Unless KY state tax (not local tax) was withheld from your wages, you will not need to file a KY return of any kind. If Kentucky tax was withheld, file form  WH-47 with your employer so that KY taxes won't be taken out in the future (just IN taxes).

[Edited 01/13/18 | 3:33 PM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gigi71

So... I am clarifying??? Does this include "LOCAL City" taxes??  Or... does this exemption only cover STATE taxes??
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Please see the edited answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies